Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I guess that means at least 4 more years of tailgating at Auburn. I had an opportunity to witness this a few years ago and you folks do love your football.......

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    Thanks Russell. I hear you on the patience. I got in a hurry when I was closing the dome and did some sloppy work on the last couple of courses. I’ll try not to make that mistake again.

Yep, he is officially an Auburn Tiger. Very proud of him. He’’s not following in my engineering footsteps, though. He plans to go to vet school.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Coming along nicely. Patience is a virtue at this point, seen some builders get to impatient at this stage of the build only to regret it later.

Your boy going to be an Auburn Tiger?

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    Thanks, ubc. Work on the oven has slowed to a snails pace the last few weeks. Between graduation, college orientation, work and rain, I've been lucky to get an hour or two here and there to make a little progress. Finished the vent arches over the weekend and started the vent stack itself. Even laying the brick is slow. Cut and lay six brick, clean mortar board and tools and wait 30 minutes. Rinse and repeat. I am at a point now that I must decide how I am going to transition from the arches to a vertical chimney and how big the vent opening will be. I've got 11 inches of depth so I'm thinking of making it simple and end up with a 11 x 11 opening or do I need to stay closer to the 50 square inches that is recommended? I've removed the outer vent arch form since the photos below were taken. Thanks for following along.

Leave a comment:

• ubcpsyc
    replied
    I read through this whole build waiting to get to the chimney install and it looks like you are where I am! (except yours looks better )

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    It's looking great! Dan.

I kept it pretty simple on the floor heat break. I used the flat insulation tape. I then let the small gap fill up with ash.

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    Only managed to work on the oven for a few hours on Sunday but I did complete the inner vent arch. Built it with a 1/2" thermal break between it and the dome arch. I will stuff some ceramic rope in the gap around the dome and backfill with high temp caulk. Not sure what I am going to put in the break at the floor level. Several of you have used stainless tubing and that is certainly an option. I've also thought of just stuffing some scraps of the dome insulation and cover it with the ceramic rope and then seal it with high temp caulk but leave 1/4" to 3/8" at the top and just let it fill with ash. Any other suggestions welcomed. Removed the arch form this afternoon and re-positioned it for the outer arch. Should be able to get some work on it in the afternoons this week. Thanks for following along.

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    That makes a lot of sense, Joe. Thanks for the feedback.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    No, I think now that it was a waste of time. It came in handy for the lower temp drying with the charcoal brickettes. I was able to regulate the temp a little during that stage. but, that is not enough reason to install one. It was originally intended for regulating the oven and entry as a smoker. I have since given up on that. I now believe that restricting smoke from exiting is the wrong way to go for smoking meat. Actually, I think that the oven does too many other things very well to tie it up as a smoker.

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    Should look quite familiar, Joe. I will add 4”of insulation under the vent floor and then 3” tiles for the floor itself. I’ve got to do some design work on the chimney portion so I will have some idea of where I am going.
    Gulf do you find the damper you added to be of use as you intended? I like the idea, but not sure I would need it very often. How do you use yours?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    I think that I see where you ae going with this. I like your approach to it much better than mine .

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    Not a lot of progress the last two weekends. Our son graduated HS last week and he had a celebration party at the house this past Saturday so we have been getting ready for that for the last couple weeks. Between the party and rain not much time for the oven. I did manage to get the vent started. Laid the bricks to support the two arches and cut all the arch brick. Now I just need to put the arch form in place and I can start on the back arch, if the rain will ever subside. Maybe I'll finish it before the boy graduates from college

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    Thanks Russell and Joe. It was a great feeling of accomplishment. I could not have done this without your’s and everyone else’s help. I really appreciate all your input and support. Time to take the FB plunge and get my fat rear end inside the oven and do some touch up work. Then on to the vent. I did make the vent arch form this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Congratulations on the closing! I remember that it felt real good to get that done .

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    On the home stretch, good work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X