Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    As far as arch shape, your choice, be sure to factor in mortar joint size in you CAD work.

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    Below are the current layout dimensions for the oven and the inner arch placement. As I've mentioned in the beginning, I'm building a brick chimney and more or less stealing .... I mean borrowing Joe's (Gulf) design on the vent arch(s). I played around today with the long reach and I see no issues.

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    Glad you mentioned getting the plywood out the door. I would like to think I wouldn't have forgotten that, but probably would have had the oven half built and realized It wasn't cut. Thanks. You are correct about the 2x4's. The arch is still about a 1/4" short of its final location. I will place shims between it and the 2x4 to get it dead on. In fact, I may end up rebuilding the arch. I've been playing around in CAD and I think I like an elliptical arch better. What do you think about the one shown below?

Oh, BTW, I started this build planning to build a 45" oven, but have reduced it to the more common 42" variety.
    Last edited by WarEagle90; 02-24-2018, 08:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Couple items, be sure to split the internal plywood template so you can get it our the front door when the dome is done. Also save the inner arch form, it will become the template for your door. I think I see a 2x4 under the form, I am assuming this will be your release to remove the arch form once the arch is complete.

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    Thanks, Russell. Sometimes the engineer gets in the way of getting things accomplished . Got the plywood template cut and oriented on the hearth today. Also cut a template for the vent area just to get a feel of the width and depth. Built the form for the inner arch and set it on the templates to see how the opening will look. Expecting rain tomorrow, so probably won't get much accomplished other than assembling the brick support for the IT.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Looks like you are ready to go. Can see the engineer in you. Looking forward to seeing you do the build.

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    Finally back working on the WFO. Made a trip to Lithonia (Atlanta), Ga today to get enough brick to get the oven and vent built. I bought my supplies from Larkin Refractory. Great folks. Very knowledgeable and gladly answered every question I threw at them. I will be using 12" x 12" x 3" high duty tiles for the floor and standard medium duty straights for the dome.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Brick1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	456.4 KB ID:	403260

Here are the tiles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Brick2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	374.1 KB ID:	403261

I also got a few 3" straights to use to set the vent arch on so I could bring it up to the level of the dome floor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Brick4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	297.2 KB ID:	403262

I've also started working on my IT. I am using a caster frame, a turnbuckle, all thread, a few bolts, nuts and bearings and brick supports made from wood. I have assembled the floor end as shown below. My plan is to place the center of one of the tiles in the dead center of the oven floor and then remove it and replace it with a wooden "tile". The wooden replacement will only be 1 1/2" thick bringing the pivot point down almost even with the finished floor. I show a test piece in the photo below. The caster frame I am using is from a fixed caster, no swivel. I removed the caster, drilled a 5/16" hole in the center of the frame bottom, inserted a 5/16" bolt and secured it with a nut. I then placed a skate board bearing, which fits a 5/16" bolt perfectly, and follwed the bearing up with another nut and then another bearing and nut. I bored an appropriately sized hole for the bearing in a scrap piece of wood and inserted the caster frame.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IT2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	255.0 KB ID:	403263Click image for larger version  Name:	IT3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	262.0 KB ID:	403264Click image for larger version  Name:	IT4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	190.9 KB ID:	403265

The last picture shows how I attached the left handed thread end of the turnbuckle to the caster frame. I designed and 3D printed a teardrop shaped bushing that fit the opening in the end of the screw and attached with a 1/4" bolt. I haven't built the brick attachments for the other end yet. I will do that this weekend. I'll post a drawing with the current oven layout with dimensions later. I hope to get the layout completed tomorrow, weather permitting and maybe even get the insulation board down and cut along with the floor tiles. Ambitious I know but have to set lofty goals sometimes to get anywhere. Thanks for riding along. Its been a long slow journey but will get kicked in high gear now that all the materials are on site. More later.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Yes it is, but I didn't do the stand or the mosaic.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Dave,

I forgot how nice the mosiac was on the front this oven was. Very nice craftsman work who ever did it. Was this one of your cast products?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Here's one on a raised deck a lot higher than yours. The mosaic is of Positano

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ryan and Teena's oven.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	398390Click image for larger version

Name:	Ryan and Teenas oven.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	398391

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    I also went with a thicker than normal hearth slab. Mine is a little over 6" thick. I was looking for ways to bring the height up a little bit. So a inch or 2 here and there adds up. Looking good. I can't wait to see the rest of your build.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Been in your neighborhood twice in May, first to graduation at Auburn, second driving a Uhaul to Minnesota where the stepson got a job. So I have seen a lot of your area in the past month. Have the say there is something to Southern hospitality. Everyone I met was very friendly and polite, not like people here in Utah who won't say hello or boo to ya as you walk down the sidewalk. Good luck with the build the fun is starting, again, you wait until it is hot and humid .

PS another highly engineered build by an engineer, 8" hearth is a bomb/tornado shelter...........LOL.

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    Current progress. Notice we finally got smart and just made a simple phone call to get concrete. Much quicker and less tiring.

Name:	IMG_0877.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	398384

Name:	IMG_0880.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	398385

Name:	IMG_0882.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	398386

Pulled the side forms off today. Will remove the interior forms at some point. Not in a real hurry to do that right now. The hearth slab ended up being 86" x 98" x 8". There is a 12" overhang on the front. Hopefully the oven itself will progress somewhat quicker once I get started.

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    More photos.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0741.JPG Views:	1 Size:	242.1 KB ID:	398381
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0751.JPG Views:	1 Size:	269.3 KB ID:	398382

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    Wow, its hard to believe that it has been almost a year since my last update. I have progressed, though. All concrete and block have been placed. Poured the hearth slab this past Tuesday. Now the fun starts, building the oven.

Progress photos. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0194.JPG Views:	1 Size:	287.2 KB ID:	398373
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0198.JPG Views:	1 Size:	239.3 KB ID:	398374

Name:	IMG_0205.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	398379

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0215.JPG Views:	1 Size:	199.7 KB ID:	398377

Last edited by WarEagle90; 06-03-2017, 04:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X