No announcement yet.

Building The Dixie Darling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oasiscdm found the way to do this "off the grid" so to speak. Look closely at the pics in this post. He has a spacer bar clamped to the IT. The spacer bar is gauged from the floor of the oven. The spacer bar keeps the course level into the arch while the IT maintains the angle of the brick in relation to the anchor point. It is an ingenues technique. It could have been what the Romans did 2000 years ago .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Ingenious, indeed. And I'm sure the Romans used a similar level to the one Colin used . Thanks, Joe, that will make it much easier to avoid catching the droop .
      Dan

Build Log
      Build Photo Album

Comment

I knew what droop was but not what caused it, which is why I didn't see it coming until it was too late. Once you understand why something happens it is much easier to avoid it.
        My build thread
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Made some good progress this weekend in spite of the constant drizzle and rain all day Saturday. Not only was I physically tired when I called it quits Saturday night, I was tired of being wet too. The oven is covered, but the saw is located just inside the corner of the oven tent and with the winds coming out of the NW, I still got wet. But hey, the oven is worth it ...... isn't it. Most of the inner arch is up, course 2 & 3 complete and tied into the arch and course 4 mostly finished and tied in on the left side. It took much longer to cut the tapers on the arch than I thought but it got easier as I went. The inside of the arch doesn't look all that great but I'll clean it up with a grinder once the arch is complete. I know no one will see it once the oven is built but I want to make it look better for my personal satisfaction. The last thing I did before tidying up yesterday was to set the anchor for the 5th course so it will be ready this weekend. Ok, enough of me talking. Pictures tell a better story and I've got a bunch this week so it will take several posts to get them all in. Here is the first set.
          Dan

Build Log
          Build Photo Album

Comment

Inner Arch Inside Photos #1
            Dan

Build Log
            Build Photo Album

Comment

Inner Arch Inside Photos #2
              Dan

Build Log
              Build Photo Album

Comment

Inner Arch Inside Photos#3
                Dan

Build Log
                Build Photo Album

Comment

Inner Arch Outside & Top

May have caught a minor case of the droop even though I thought I took the proper precautions. I'll straighten that out on the next course.
                  Last edited by WarEagle90; 04-09-2018, 05:13 PM.
                  Dan

Build Log
                  Build Photo Album

Comment

Last Set. Thanks for following along.
                    Dan

Build Log
                    Build Photo Album

Comment

coming together nicely
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Between the weather and helping my Dad, I didn't get a whole lot accomplished this weekend. Spent yesterday playing cowboy helping my Dad with his cows and spent most of today watching the liquid sunshine fall from the sky. But did manage to get a few hours in on the oven. Late yesterday I finished the arch and most of course 5. Today I tied No. 5 into the arch, set the anchors for 6 and removed the arch form. By golly it didn't fall . Some touch up work will be necessary on the underside of the arch where it sat on the form. I'll need to tuck point some of the joints and get the grinder after some stray mortar but I kind of expected that. I think I remedied the minor case of the droop I caught last week. Take a look at the photos and let me know if you see any lingering issues. Won't be any more real progress for a couple weeks. I have to go to NC to my nieces wedding next weekend. As always, thanks for following along.
                        Last edited by WarEagle90; 04-15-2018, 06:16 PM.
                        Dan

Build Log
                        Build Photo Album

Comment

Here are a couple photos of the work needed on the arch.
                          Dan

Build Log
                          Build Photo Album

Comment

I'm having withdrawals. Been away from the oven for almost 2 weeks now and I know its getting lonely. Weekend can't get here soon enough. I forgot to tell everyone about the visit from our local inspector. A few weeks ago, I started noticing footprints around the oven build site. It took me a while to figure out who they belonged to, but one evening when I knew it wasn't going to rain for a few days, I left the tarp off. The next day, I saw those same footprints in the dust on the hearth. I could make them out a lot better and it hit me ... the darn inspector has been snooping around. Well, I finally caught him on camera a few days later.
                            Dan

Build Log
                            Build Photo Album

Comment

I few years ago I left my storm door off after a cook. It was a cold morning when I went toward the oven. The insulated door was in place and laying in the entry was a stray cat soaking up the warmth . During the next firing I pulled plenty of coals into then entry to sanitize the area .
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Mr. Paws (inspector) has given approval for the oven construction to continue. He said he had his eye on a possum (that's how we spell it in the south), a few squirrels and a bunch of chipmunks he wanted to cook in it when complete . Finally got back to work laying brick this weekend. First milestone reached: CLEARED THE ARCH!!!!. That felt real good. Now the next challenge: GRAVITY. Had a couple issues with brick not wanting to stay in place on course 7. The problem ended up being mortar was to dry. Made a wetter batch and held gravity at bay, for now at least. May take some time off of work later this week and try to get the dome closed this weekend. I need to start planning the vent. I want to build a brick vent similar to Gulf's and I have placed the oven on the hearth with that in mind. I just have to work out all the details. I'll throw something together in CAD and let you folks take a look at it and let me know what you think. Progress photos below (6th course). I'll post 7th next.
                                Dan

Build Log
                                Build Photo Album

Comment

Working...
                                X