42" Idaho Spud (redeux)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" Idaho Spud (redeux)

Last year I started construction on my long anticipated 42" WFO. Summer came and went and I didn't get it completed. There are many reasons for that. One of them is that I was trying to cut each brick in such a way as to have very thin mortar joints. The result was a lot of time wasted doing that and an oven that was taking on the shape of a Hersheys Kiss. So, I actually tore it all down to the floor level and started over. Soccer and school and kids all kept me from finishing it before fall turned to winter. Alas, I'm just now getting back out to it. Here is what it looked like when I left off last year:

I drug out the HF saw from the shed, unearthed all my tools and actually laid a few bricks today.

I am the world's slowest builder! Oh well, gotta keep plugging away at it, right?!

- Alex
    Attached Files

You are on your way....The key to mortarless joints is using a Jig to cut each row. Either way, yours is looking great.
    Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

I only had a little bit of time after work to lay a few bricks but I was able to finish the one chain I started on this year... Man, that sounds pathetic! 😆 I've been trying avoid creating a droop at the junction of the chains with the oven entry arch. So far I think I've been able to do that. It does appear that my arch is shorter on the left side than the right. I'm not too concerned about that... should I be? And, I think I've avoided making a tear drop shape in the junction of the rings to the oven arch as well, as viewed from above.

Comment

Headed out to work on the oven for a bit tonight. Between being a full-time single dad to three awesome kiddos and working full-time, this project is crawling along 😆 Nonetheless, it's fun. Here's the little I got done the last few days. I'll be glad to get past the oven arch. Those bricks are kinda difficult to get right. I hope my tie-in to the dome is adequate? Never made one of these before...

Comment

Didn't have as much time as I had hoped but I was able to complete the oven entry arch. How long have people been leaving their supports under the arch after it's complete before removing it to tuck some mortar in the gaps, if there any?

Comment

After I finished my inner arch I pulled the form out the next morning. It fully released from the arch after I pulled the shims, so when I did my inner and outer vent arches I pulled the forms right after I set the last brick. If the forms had been difficult to remove without putting pressure on the bricks I would have left them in longer.
            My build thread
            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Once the keystone is in place the arch isn't going anyplace...but as JR noted, it's nice to give it a couple hours to "set" a little . Your arch looks fabulous...great job!

Mike
              Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
              Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
              Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
              Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm on call this weekend so only had about an hour to work on the oven, but had just enough time to complete the chain over the arch. Pulling the arch support was pretty uneventful, which is a good thing. -Alex

Comment

Nice brick work. Your courses will move along now until the last few and the plug then alot of cut and fit. Looks nice.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Russell, coming from you, that's a big compliment. I'm appreciative of yours and all those with you who have helped so many people along their way.

Comment

I was able to complete another chain today. It took longer than I anticipated. Getting the side bevels of each brick correct took some extra time. I also noticed that my last chain that tied into the arch wasn't completely round because this chain I finished tonight has a small lip that hangs over the archway on the inside of the oven. It's hard to describe but I posted a pic of it. It hangs over about 3/8" at the most. Is this going to cause a problem?

Comment

Nice work. you could take to it with an angle grinder. but I would be careful so as not too dislodge, or lay a few more rows then try.
                        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

That will not cause any problems, I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. Best thing: you'll never see it after you close the dome
                          My build progress
                          My WFO Journal on Facebook
                          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I've been thinking about cleaning the excess mortar residue from the inside of the oven. I've read briefly about some people using dilute muriatic acid to do this. My fear is what would that do to the joints if it soaks into them? Another thought I had, "Is it really necessary or worth it?" I mean, I don't want mortar flaking off into my food but I don't really care how pretty the walls are because they'll get full of soot anyway, yes/no? Anyway, just thought that if I were to do it, it'd be better to do the majority of it before I close the dome.

Comment

Looks pretty clean but the film could be removed a lot safer with vinegar. IMHO leave be or a vinegar wipe down only.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                              X