No announcement yet.

42" Pompeii in Eastern NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a while since I posted (real-life got in the way of oven progress!!), but here's my updates:

Finished the dome, and the outer arch. One of the attached pictures shows the finished arch if you look closely. We used full length fire bricks for the lower part of the arch, and then the last few at the top of the arch are only 1/2 length, in order to leave us a gap for chimney gasses to escape upwards. We're planning on using a clay flue liner, and building a chimney on top of the inner/outer arch area to direct the fumes upwards.

I also included one picture of the interior of our dome - it needs to be cleaned in this picture, but I don't have one 'post cleaning'. I have to say - this was the most frustrating area of the build so far. Figuring out how to taper the bricks with the limits of our saw was difficult. You can see that we have more of a mortar joint that is ideal, but I've got my fingers crossed that it won't just crumble in while in use.

We've done some test pours of our concrete countertops. I've used a few different colors from Cheng Concrete (Saddle, charcoal and Ocean). I'm glad we did the test pours, as it's given us a chance to fiddle with the amount of water to include, and also given us a canvas in which to adapt our grinding/polishing techniques. I'll try to take some pictures of those test pours and put them on here, just in case anyone wants to take a peek. We haven't quite decided which direction we're going, but we're getting there.

We built the counters out of treated 2x4s and plan on skinning them with a concrete backer board in preparation for a stone veneer we'll be applying later. The brick 'cube' you see on the right side of the picture is the beginnings of our open BBQ pit. We made a basic form out of 8x8x16" CMUs and then skinned it with reclaimed brick that we had. We've only got the base laid and haven't started the sides/back of the BBQ. It will make more sense once we get a little farther along in the process (we ran out of mortar).

As we finish up the countertop structures, we're really starting to figure out what we want the upper enclosure of the oven to look like. We're planning a 'dog house' style enclosure, with maybe a single slope shed roof. Our original thought was to clad the entire structure with the same stone veneer as the base,, but now I'm worried it will look too monolithic (especially since we have almost a full 6' of structure from the backside/ground level area of the oven. we're playing with the idea of mixing the stone veneer with some other material (brick?wood? metal?) but are stymied. Any suggestions welcome

Comment

Looking good.........I will be following your finishing closely. Keep the updates and pics coming!
      https://picasaweb.google.com/1029081...00165373509921

Comment

Originally posted by Caliea View Post

...As we finish up the countertop structures, we're really starting to figure out what we want the upper enclosure of the oven to look like. We're planning a 'dog house' style enclosure, with maybe a single slope shed roof. Our original thought was to clad the entire structure with the same stone veneer as the base,, but now I'm worried it will look too monolithic (especially since we have almost a full 6' of structure from the backside/ground level area of the oven. we're playing with the idea of mixing the stone veneer with some other material (brick?wood? metal?) but are stymied. Any suggestions welcome

I've attached a link to a trip advisor review and the Fol Epi organic bakery web site in Victoria, B.C. for you. The trip advisor photos are probably the best to show you what they did around their oven exterior and bread cooling/display shelves...looks to me like a river of stones in the brick structure. Thought it might give you some ideas for your oven's enclosure. I thought I had a picture of the outside and will keep looking for it, but hopefully a couple of pictures on these sites will show you enough...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Location...sland_Bri.html

http://folepi.ca/
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

We poured the concrete countertops today - now we wait!

I've attached photos of it while it's wet. The color will probably change a bit while it cures.

I also attached a photo of 3 samples we did. They are "saddle", "charcoal" and "ocean" and are made by Cheng Concrete. We ended up going with "ocean".

Comment

Caliea,

I think that your counters are going to turn out great! To be honest though, that pour looks more like Cheng's "indigo" to me. Irregardless, the color will change a lot with polishing. It will change even more depending on the depth of the grind. The depth of the grind brings out more of the hues of the sand and the larger aggregate. I'm looking forward to the finished project.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for the TripAdvisor pics, Sable. That oven looks intriguing!

Gulf, thanks for the encouragement! We ordered "ocean" but I have to admit that the wet product looks completely different than our test pours. We were a bit overzealous with the water in our first tests though. Right now it's a bit of a grey-green-blue, and I think I'm liking it.

We're planning on doing just a light polish. I'm not a huge fan of the look of our local aggregate, so don't want to expose it too much. And we'll probably keep it a bit imperfect - I like it better with a few flaws (good thing - considering my concrete finishing skills!)

It's got to cure for 4 days before we can unmold, and then a few more before any finishing can happen. We'll be working on making the cabinet bases pretty in the meantime

Comment

So, we like the look of our Dome so much that we're thinking of a stucco exterior. We're planning on putting insulation blanket, hardware wire, and a layer of vermicrete for shape.

Then what? We get lots of rain, so I'm skittish of traditional stucco. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with the acrylic stucco/sealer products?

Comment

Originally posted by Caliea View Post
                  So, we like the look of our Dome so much that we're thinking of a stucco exterior. We're planning on putting insulation blanket, hardware wire, and a layer of vermicrete for shape.

Then what? We get lots of rain, so I'm skittish of traditional stucco. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with the acrylic stucco/sealer products?
                  Then put a roof over the whole thing. Stucco isn't waterproof, neither is tile, and it is difficult to get a really good seal around the base of a stucco dome. Unless you're an expert (and/or live in a dry climate), I wouldn't try to leave my dome exposed to the weather. No matter how pretty it is.
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

You can waterproof your oven only when 100% sure it is totally dry, using a 100% acrylic render. Be careful because there are some bagged products marked as acrylic render that are actually just acrylic modified cement renders. These are only partly waterproof. What you need is a 100% acrylic render which is a wet product that comes in a bucket. It's also about four times the price of the cement render. If you water it down 20% you can easily brush on layers until it's around 2mm thick. This will leave you with a waterproof coating that you can then paint over with any acrylic house paint.
                    Last edited by david s; 11-26-2016, 01:24 PM.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The only downside of waterproofing the stucco is it will not breathe, so if moisture gets into the lower layers of insulation and vermicrete, the moisture will have no-where to go. Lime based stuccoes breath and repel water quite well if installed correctly. For my build, the base layer of stucco is lime / Portland mix of 1:1.25:4 (slightly more lime since the hydrated lime loses 25% volume when mixed with water) which will be at least 3/4" thick. The base layer will be mixed with stainless steel needles to strengthen the layer.

The second layer will be no more than 1/2" thick 1:1.25:5. Slightly more sand as each successive layer must be weaker to control cracks. Poly fibers will be added to help control cracking.

The Third layer will be a lime only based stucco 1:2.5 where the plan is to soak the lime for several days to improve it's characteristics. If I decide to use the dry hydrated lime without soaking the ratio will be 1:2 to take into consideration the shrinkage of the lime. Lime friendly pigment will also be added to this layer.

Lastly, lime whitewash will be applied to further strengthen the surface. Not sure of the ratio / additives yet as there are many ideas on this topic.

Each of these steps requires a slow drying period with the lime only layer even slower, with consistent moisture being applied as necessary. Lime cures (carbonates) differently than Portland.

There are many articles about using lime based stucco and if funds were not a consideration, I would probably use an expensive proprietary product (four times the cost of using hydrated lime / sand / Portland).

If you go this route, you may want to scour the internet for opinions on lime based mortars / stuccoes. My build is based on a lot of research, but no actual experience (yet).

Comment

Thanks for all of the info on the stucco look we're going for. We have decided to go with a Parex product. After speaking with the rep, our plan is as follows: Dry out the oven as completely as possible with firings. Cover with 3" of FB blanket, shape/protect with hardware cloth, form shape with verimcrete, dry-dry-dry, then paint with a Parex weatherproofer (that lets vapor through, but not liquid water?), cover with a base coat of a acrylic stucco Parex product, then finish with a colored acrylic modified weather-resistant stucco coat. We are going a bit bold for us, and chose a terra-cotta color for the finish coat. Our 'plan-b' is to recoat it next year if we decide we're too staid to handle a bold color

Right now, our next task is to figure out the transition from our chimney vent opening in our arch to the actual chimney base plate. That is taxing my brain - lots of standing back and scratching my head!

I have attached a pic of the countertops after we unmolded them. They have not been sanded or polished in any way yet. The entire base will be covered with a stained wood planking, installed horizontally. It's still looking pretty unfinished, but we are making progress slowly during this holiday season. I have a week off work after Xmas, and am hoping to make some real progress then!!

In other news - we threw a 'caveman' steak on the coals of our curing fire last night. The kids were skeptical, and we were worried we'd be picking ashes out of our teeth all night, but they were DELICIOUS! I'd definitely recommend giving them a try. We just seasoned heavily with salt, and threw them on the bed of coals. Took about 5-6 minutes per side and we had a beautiful med-rare.

Comment

I've had a bit of time to work on the oven since I last posted.

We did more tempering fires and dried out the oven a bit. Then we covered the oven with 2 layers of the FB insulation blanket, and tied it all down with some hardware cloth. We attempted to make a dome shape - with varying degrees of success.

After we ran a few more fires in order to push some heat through the insulation, we covered it with a layer of Vermiculite-cement to get the desired (mostly) shape. We're in the process of making sure that's cured and dried out, and then we're planning on covering it with a water sealer and an acrylic stucco product.

We;ve had some beautiful fires and are definitely getting the hang of cooking in the oven. We've done pizza (a definite learning curve on that one!), made more "caveman' steaks, cooked black eyed peas and a chuck roast with the residual heat, and have made popcorn and roasted chesnuts (over an open fire!!). I'm in love with cooking in this thing. If we can keep the wood split for it, I think we'll be using it a lot.

I'll post more pics as we finish the concrete countertops and the stucco coat.

Comment

Congrats Caliea...nice to see you get to the point where you're focused more on enjoying the use of the oven than stressing out the build details.

I get a kick out of my neighbor bringing over a batch of cookies or Biscotti after I've finished a bread bake and automatically saying "OK, we have to bake these for 15 minutes at 325F..." I just laugh and say, well the oven's at 550F so we'll throw 'em in and just watch 'em close. I have to say that over the years I've gotten away from accepting the school of thought that says "food items must be done as per what's given in the recipe time/temp instructions". I really enjoy and appreciate the cooking process itself now (how it looks, jiggles/pokes, & smells) more than I would have ever foreseen. I think the WFO brings a lot of fun (and awareness) back into cooking.

I also think you'll really appreciate the oven when you use it this summer (and don't add to the heat in the house).

...and wait until you see/taste how great bread can be...
                            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Great looking oven Caliea. I started building my 45" this past summer. Got the foundation and block set and then life got in the way and I am just now getting back to it. Your access to the oven from the deck is very similar to mine. I chose to pour an intermediate slab since my block is 82" high. Can't wait o see your's complete. Happy cooking.
                              Last edited by WarEagle90; 01-09-2017, 12:45 PM. Reason: Edit: I can't spell worth a darn!!
                              Dan

Build Log
                              Build Photo Album

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Sable and WarEagle. I can't wait to try some bread - it's both my profession and my love, so I'm pretty excited at the thought.

Bad weather, adult responsibilities and annoying colds have all delayed me a bit, but it will happen SOON!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X