Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017- 36" pompeii oven construction in Sac California.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    My 8 year old tapping in the key hole

    Comment


    • #62
      QUESTION: Im starting to build the front arch/flue gallery. What size chimney pipe I would need for a 36" oven. I plan to purchase it at forno bravo, they have a 6" dia and a 8"dia. Would it hurt to go bigger? Also How tall should the pipe be 36" or 48"? Did a search on the forums, doesn't really specify.

      Comment


      • #63
        You can't really overflue a front-glued WFO because it also draws from the front. A 6" is adequate for a 36" oven, but an 8" will also work ok. although it will increase the depth of your entry. Extra height will also increase draw but diam is a bigger controlling factor. Until the chamber and flue have heated there will always be some smoke for around 5 mins.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

        Comment


        • #64
          thank you for the reply david. Now that the dome done, when do people start curing the oven dome? I know light fires or coals for a long peroid of time, do most start this step after the vent/flue is in place?

          Comment


          • #65
            You should insulate it before lighting any fires. Waiting a week before fires allows damp curing to take place. Then you can begin eliminating the moisture by gentle fires.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

            Comment


            • #66
              Got it. Also for the chimney question, your saying no matter what I will have smoke coming out the very front for the first few mins of the firing correct? Will I have a huge problem if i go with a 3' height chimney pipe? I need to keep it short as I can to be kind to my neighbors.

              Comment


              • #67
                Yes, unless you keep the fire really small to start with.
                A 3 ft long pipe is fine.
                Last edited by david s; 04-09-2017, 01:57 PM.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by david s View Post
                  .......................Until the chamber and flue have heated there will always be some smoke for around 5 mins.

                  Originally posted by jas0ny View Post
                  Got it. Also for the chimney question, your saying no matter what I will have smoke coming out the very front for the first few mins of the firing correct? Will I have a huge problem if i go with a 3' height chimney pipe? I need to keep it short as I can to be kind to my neighbors.
                  Just say'n . I'm not so sure that ya'll are on the same page with this?

                  "Until the chamber and flue have heated there will always be some smoke for around 5 mins". Very true, but it should not be coming out the front of the oven imo. If the oven has a sufficient flue and the flue has been been preheated, the smoke should be going up the flue.

                  "I need to keep it short as I can to be kind to my neighbors." Along with preheating the flue, a taller flue will aid in getting the smoke higher and sooner imo. Ya'll look over me if I'm missing something here? .



                  Joe Watson, "A year from now, you will have wished that you had started today"
                  My Build
                  My Web Album

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    As most of us start the fire under the flue pipe, there is usually a little smoke escaping out the front until the fire is pushed into the oven once the flue has heated. This can be avoided if the fire is kept small, as I once discovered when I had a market stall next to a lady who was selling knitted baby wear. I was more vigilant than usual to ensure there were no smoke issues.

                    if you are worrying about your neighbours, and you should, ensure you always use dry wood. I like to preheat my wood in the entry before placing it on the fire.Also use debarked wood as it also creates smoke. When the oven chamber is hot there should be minimal smoke coming out the flue. When ovens are new or moist they are also more smoky. I suggest you invite your neighbours over for pizza or offer them some bread to stay on good terms. My neighbour has one of my ovens directly behind mine on the other side of our dividing wall so we're both even.
                    Last edited by david s; 04-10-2017, 12:17 AM.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Congrats on your build so far! Looks great. I am just a few months ahead of you. I built a 42" oven and went with a 8"x3ft pipe because the 3ft pipe was on sale and because I wanted to have a less "visual" impact to my neighbors behind us. The oven draws fine IMO and not a lot of smoke ever comes out the front.

                      I did however have my neighbor complain about the smoke coming into his house which initially made me second guess the 3ft length pipe. I do not think going to 4ft would make a difference really with regards to eliminating the smoke effect on his house. It is sort of a catch 22. A shorter less visually obtrusive chimney but might not get the smoke as high as fast OR a taller chimney that they can see but might get he smoke up and away better.

                      I am in the middle of this dilemma now. Have not fired up the oven since he complained about it 2 weeks ago. Was initially devastated because that was the last thing I wanted to have happen. Earlier I was not careful building fires and saw it as a good way to destroy and burn he 5000 amazon boxes we had lying around, so I assume that if I build a wood only it will help. I also searched the forums and found folks with similar issues using a fan or air mover to shoot the smoke up while it gets going..........we'll see how it works!

                      But again, congrats on plugging up the dome......I know how good that feels!
                      https://picasaweb.google.com/1029081...00165373509921

                      Comment


                      • #71


                        There will be times when the flue is cooler than the ambient air. That means reverse draw. In any situation, lighting a piece of kindling and holding it high in the flue to create a column of warm air rising will decrease the amount of smoke coming out the front. If the flue is warmed sufficently before the fire in the oven or oven entry is lit, there will be no smoke. At the very least, it will be severly limited to what it would have been otherwise. There are some directional windy conditions in which there is not much that you can do to prevent it. But, preheating the flue is definately a plus.

                        I am in the middle of this dilemma now. Have not fired up the oven since he complained about it 2 weeks ago. Was initially devastated because that was the last thing I wanted to have happen. Earlier I was not careful building fires and saw it as a good way to destroy and burn he 5000 amazon boxes we had lying around, so I assume that if I build a wood only it will help. I also searched the forums and found folks with similar issues using a fan or air mover to shoot the smoke up while it gets going..........we'll see how it works!
                        Well, I guess you have figured out to never burn paper in the oven. Cardboard boxes . That had to have been noxious. I don't even use paper to start the fire. Try lump charcoal to get a coal bed prestarted in your oven. That will help the fire catch and burn hotter and quicker. Use a charcoal chimney to get it started in your flue entry or on your outdoor grill.like. I like starting it in the entry since that also preheats the flue. Webber and others make charcaol starter cubes that work very well. I like using natural lightered "fat wood" to start it. Like David said, make sure that your wood is dry. Start slow and build the fire up without overloading the oven with fuel. It is better on your oven as well as the smell and color of the smoke coming out of your oven on start up. If you neighbor has a problem with the smell of lump charcoal and dry seasoned wood, there is no hope for him/her.
                        Joe Watson, "A year from now, you will have wished that you had started today"
                        My Build
                        My Web Album

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Thanks Damer! Ive been reading your post build as well, how fun building your oven with all this weather we got going on! Its been almost every weekend pouring in Sac area.

                          Originally posted by Damer419 View Post
                          Congrats on your build so far! Looks great. I am just a few months ahead of you. I built a 42" oven and went with a 8"x3ft pipe because the 3ft pipe was on sale and because I wanted to have a less "visual" impact to my neighbors behind us. The oven draws fine IMO and not a lot of smoke ever comes out the front.

                          I did however have my neighbor complain about the smoke coming into his house which initially made me second guess the 3ft length pipe. I do not think going to 4ft would make a difference really with regards to eliminating the smoke effect on his house. It is sort of a catch 22. A shorter less visually obtrusive chimney but might not get the smoke as high as fast OR a taller chimney that they can see but might get he smoke up and away better.

                          I am in the middle of this dilemma now. Have not fired up the oven since he complained about it 2 weeks ago. Was initially devastated because that was the last thing I wanted to have happen. Earlier I was not careful building fires and saw it as a good way to destroy and burn he 5000 amazon boxes we had lying around, so I assume that if I build a wood only it will help. I also searched the forums and found folks with similar issues using a fan or air mover to shoot the smoke up while it gets going..........we'll see how it works!

                          But again, congrats on plugging up the dome......I know how good that feels!

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            It was a brutal wet winter here south of you. The spring has been great, only a few systems moved thru. Unfortunately for you most systems have stayed up north lately. Not sure about you, but I am tired of the term "atmospheric river".......we heard that too many times here on t he Left Coast lately. We needed it though, so I guess it is good. My Brother lives near you in Granite Bay and has complained about the weather for the past 6 months..........In spite of the wacky winter we both had, we both got ours built so perseverance paid off!

                            https://picasaweb.google.com/1029081...00165373509921

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Thermal break was put in. Used exhaust tape and sealant with two layers. Worked out really well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X