No announcement yet.

Finally getting to building WFO in Calgary, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just found this. Lots of pictures but not in English. Similar flue idea.

https://www.grillsportverein.de/foru...152374/page-27

Comment

This past week was able to work through a couple of courses, so here are a few update photos. Course #1
      David in Calgary
      My Build Thread

Comment

Photos from Course 2 (partly complete)
        David in Calgary
        My Build Thread

Comment

Photos after Course # 2 complete
          David in Calgary
          My Build Thread

Comment

Also worked on the inner arch this past week and weekend. Fun story there, my neighbour visited a friend in Naramata BC back in June, who also built a WFO from a precast kit. The friend in Naramata sent him home with his arch template, which I've modified to re-use in a second oven.
            He also sent my neighbour home with a box of cherry tree wood for my first oven firing. (I'll have to decide if I want to use it for curing or for actual cooking, i'm leaning toward the latter).

I recut the front piece of the "Naramata arch" to fit my arch shape and worked this weekend to get my inner arch bricks cut, chamfered (for dome curve and vent side), and notched for the outer arch/heat break. All that test layouts and cutting occupied all my available time this weekend without any progress mortaring (which was disappointing). (Also dulled my diamond wet saw blade so need to get myself another ).
            David in Calgary
            My Build Thread

Comment

Shanxk8,

Looks like I was posting about your arch on another poster's thread, must of had a senior moment. But in any event, my comments on the arch still apply and you need to evaluate how the dome will mate to the arch if you leave as is or if you need to modify. I am not sure the arch can handle the grinding necessary to achieve the correct profile for a taper arch. Good luck.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I saw that your post there as well, it looks like I might need to use the grinder to get the upper angle cutoff the back and sides of the arch. I wasn't sure how the backs of those arch bricks were supposed to go, now I know! This way i'll be able to cut them at the exact spot instead of guessing how high or low to make that cut.
                I'm sure I'll make it work.

Here are some progress photos from my arch building.
                1: modified arch template from Naramata pizza oven
                2 & 3: my typical views for reference
                Last edited by shanxk8; 08-06-2017, 11:12 AM.
                David in Calgary
                My Build Thread

Comment

Some more close up pictures of the arch
                  David in Calgary
                  My Build Thread

Comment

Finally back to working on my oven after an ugly winter. Been at it for a few weeks and feel I'm getting close to finishing the dome. Finished the first full ring above the arch today, so hoping it will go quicker now. Will post some pictures when I remember how to upload from my phone :-p
                    David in Calgary
                    My Build Thread

Comment

Here's the initial progress after warm weather arrived
                      David in Calgary
                      My Build Thread

Comment

It was very exciting to finish the first course above the arch.
                        Building seemed to go quickly after that!
                        David in Calgary
                        My Build Thread

Comment

(And after more trouble with the photo uploader) here are some pictures of finishing the dome, which was only a day later.
                          David in Calgary
                          My Build Thread

Comment

Here's progress I've made in my outer arch so far, hopefully mortar issues don't leave me with fallen arch later. (still having trouble with photos (only about 1/3 upload without error)
                            David in Calgary
                            My Build Thread

Comment

My arches are looking a little rougher than I had hoped, I'm hoping that they're just structurally sound at this point.

This picture is today with one s curve done and the other just started.
                              David in Calgary
                              My Build Thread

Comment

A little more progress this evening . Both s curves done .
                                David in Calgary
                                My Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X