No announcement yet.

Finally getting to building WFO in Calgary, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good weekend all, this week I've managed to finish my outer arch, hooray!

Here are a few pictures (but great as I had under cover for threat of rain.
    My last arch didn't come out quite as symmetrical as I'd hoped, one side hada but of a flat spot where some bricks sank
    David in Calgary
    My Build Thread

Comment

One question that I have, the mortar between each course I had not filled the full depth to the outer edge of the dome. I've since filled that in with the home brew mortar as I've been completing my arch.

My question is, do I need to wait 1 week for that new mortar I cure?

This picture shows the space/grooves I was filling (before they were filled)
      David in Calgary
      My Build Thread

Comment

When you say "do I need a week to cure the fill in mortar" before what? Insulating the dome with CF blanket or Pcrete...........no. I do know that David S advocates the dome be insulated before curing to minimize temp. differential during curing.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I was planning to try to install my cf blanket this weekend and do cure fires starting this week.
          (I filled the bulk of those grooves yesterday)
          David in Calgary
          My Build Thread

Comment

You should be golden. Do wear a Noish 95 mask when working with CF blanket, it is nasty stuff. I do suggest that the first few fires be done with briquettes, relatively low transitional heat with minimal temp spiking.. Go slow, this is where a lot a builders go too hot too quick and end up cracking the oven.
            Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 06-16-2018, 10:11 AM.
            Russell

Comment

I'll have to go back and read process for firing, and get an IR thermometer
              David in Calgary
              My Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                You should be golden. Do wear a Noish 95 mask when working with CF blanket, it is nasty stuff. I do suggest that the first few fires be done with briquettes, relatively low transitional heat with minimal temp spiking.. Go slow, this is where a lot a builders go too hot too quick and end up cracking the oven.
                It depends on the type of blanket you have. The new generation of blanket is safe. Read the MSDS on the product you have and follow their directions re installation.

it is pretty long, but a good idea to read the whole of this thread on curing. Start here
                https://community.fornobravo.com/for...curing#post833
                Last edited by david s; 06-16-2018, 02:34 PM.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by shanxk8 View Post
                  One question that I have, the mortar between each course I had not filled the full depth to the outer edge of the dome. I've since filled that in with the home brew mortar as I've been completing my arch.

My question is, do I need to wait 1 week for that new mortar I cure?

This picture shows the space/grooves I was filling (before they were filled)
                  If you used homebrew mortar, yes it needs to be damp cured for a week because it is Portland cement based. If you use a calcium aluminate based mortar, no, it only requires 24 hrs curing.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

It seems the process for curing had changed since the original plans I downloaded.
                    either way, I plan to start slow with the newspaper only fire. I still am not sure how long or how much newspaper to use for the first fires?

Weather didn't cooperate so far this weekend, so no insulation yet. I guess I'll take my time insulating & patiently wait til next week to start the fires.
                    David in Calgary
                    My Build Thread

Comment

Charcoal is a very good medium for the first heating of a new oven. Don't use match light or starter fluid. Light it in a starter chimney with your paper. Then place it in the oven when it is going good.
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

The FB plans are a good baseline, but dated. There have been numerous innovations and improved processes by the Forum members over the years. At one time FB asked the members to help update the digital plans. Several of us participated in the update but it died on the vine when the FB person championing the update left the company. So the plans are still as originally developed 10 plus years ago.
                        Russell

Comment

So how long should the first fire to 200 or 250 be burning?
                          David in Calgary
                          My Build Thread

Comment

Here's some more photos from finishing off the mount for the chimney
                            David in Calgary
                            My Build Thread

Comment

And here are a few test during the chimney. This really makes me want to start firing the oven.
                              i can all but taste the pizza.
                              David in Calgary
                              My Build Thread

Comment

I'm including two pics of me using charcoal. One is when I was drying my new oven. It is with the charcoal brickettes. It is the Karangi Dude "Heat bead" method. It works a treat! The other is me using lump charcoal to add extra heat to an oven on the decline. Either, is a milder, more controlable method than burning paper or wood in a new oven where there will be a direct flame impingement on the dome.
                                Last edited by Gulf; 06-17-2018, 07:03 PM.
                                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
                                X