No announcement yet.

Finally getting to building WFO in Calgary, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sable, regarding silicon, i only used a very little bit on the vertical joint. The horizontal joints were kinda double folded back on each other. (I hoped that will be sufficient but timewill tell)

(I forgot to take pictures of that part)
    David in Calgary
    My Build Thread

Comment

• Here's some pictures of the 3rd layer of stucco that was finished last week.
      Bonus picture of the delicious sourdough bread we backed as well.
      David in Calgary
      My Build Thread

Comment

• Here is the oven this weekend after applying 2 layers of water proofing (flex crete). It seems to be a cement/mortar/stucco with polymer instead of water, and seems to have made a nice hard layer on the outside of the dome My technique improved and was able to make the final layer fairly even and smooth.
        It was quite a lot of effort to scrape the remnants (mostly polymer i think) off the countertop, so I'm hopeful that it will stand up well as waterproofing, at least for this winter.
        David in Calgary
        My Build Thread

Comment

• Wow, shocking that it had been a year and a half since I posted. I thought I would post an update how things have gone
          Our oven is going very strong. It makes wonderful pizza, roast, turkeys, bread, and smoked/slow cooked meats. I am extremely happy we undertook this project, we use and enjoy with a firing usually at least twice a month (& enjoying cooking breads, roasts etc. using the retained heat).

The dome was sealed with flexcrete over the CF blanket and regular stucco. The flexcrete has held up very well, I have not noticed any issues with it in the last 1.5 years. I did put a bread of outdoor silicone around the bottom edge with the counter.

I sdo notice when first firing the oven that I get a little smoke coming out the front of the oven, rather than it all going up the chimney. Once it is burning hot there isn't an issue. I may try following the guidance of Mike above and see if I can remove that band around the chimney cap to see if it improves the chimney draw.
          (But, I've also lived with it for 1.5 years, so maybe if it works, why chance breaking it)

Anyways, thank you so again for the help and guidance to complete our oven. We are really enjoying it and appreciate the all the help you provided.

Cheers,
          David
          Last edited by shanxk8; 05-27-2020, 09:19 PM.
          David in Calgary
          My Build Thread

Comment

• Hi David - we are in the last planning stages of building a pizza oven in Calgary. We have been able to source all the materials but struggle finding the FB board. Did you find any and if so, would you mind sharing the supplier? Thanks for your help. Your oven looks great!

Comment

Working...
            X