Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low dome build

Gentleman and woman,
    I decided to make a low dome like this https://community.fornobravo.com/for...rmore-ca/page2
    I want to make is like photo 1 and use the metal band from 2 mm thick like photo 2. I want to use 2 bands like larry p . Can I expect any problems? Can I build on top of the floor or is it better next to it like Larry?
    They say it makes better pizzas in a lower dome.

Thanks, Ad.

I started with cutting the bricks in halve to get some feel about it.
    The machine can I borrow from a friend of mine but is heavy.
    It is a durty job but someone has to do it.
    https://goo.gl/photos/W1Xt4a7wGF4j1rVr7
    Ad
    Last edited by atak; 08-20-2017, 08:54 AM.

Comment

my first intention was to make 2 bands around the wall for strength, but seeing this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM9zteuE8UA at 17 seconds you see a welded steel wheel where they put the bricks on. My neighbour has a metal construction business and he can make one of those for me from 2" steel. I suppose I don't need bands around the wall any more and don't need to cut a lot of stones.
      Is this a good idea?

Cheers, Ad
      Last edited by atak; 08-24-2017, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Ad, Interesting video--thanks for inserting the link. The flatter dome of the Neopolitan style oven normally requires some form of outer buttress since the weight of the dome pushes down and outward on the lower wall bricks. The steel band used in the construction of the Gianni Acunto oven contains the outward thrust of the dome...essentially becoming an internal buttress. In addition for their oven, the outside space (between the oven side walls and the metal wall shield) contains the insulating cement mixture which acts as a backup/supplemental buttressing that surrounds and limits the outward expansion of the oven side walls (not to mention the metal outer shell).

If you decide to do the dome cap with a metal ring, I would still make sure that you have additional containment around the side walls of brick. It could be an additional steel band or an insulating cement mix...but I wouldn't trust just the cap ring as my only buttress for the oven. I personally feel that your original idea of using the bands of steel on the outside walls (as Larry P did) is still the easiest way to go, but combining the two ideas (the internal dome ring and the outside bands) would be the best...especially if your neighbor likes pizza
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mike,
          I will do that, just for sure. The ring will run around and on the whole wall including the door and that will give me a door of 9 inch. Is that to low? For pizza's it is fine I think.
          In the video it is also good to see how to put on the mortar and that they don't cut any bricks.
          Greetings, Ad

Comment

Atak, how big is your oven going to be? A 9" opening will be fine for pizza peel access, but the larger your oven the more difficult it becomes to reach and work areas farther back. Remember that no matter what you think now, you will want to use the oven for cooking and baking after making pizza. So access (and visibility) is important (as well as being able to fit a roasting pan or sheet pan through the opening width). I don't remember exactly who, but there is a low dome build on the forum where the surrounding bands of steel connected to steel vertical posts embedded in the hearth on either side of the door. That way the bands did not cross the opening of the oven. My opening is just under 12" high for my 39" diameter Pompeii/beavertail shaped oven and I can be limited in working the back of the oven over items closer to the front (having a load of bread in the oven for instance).

Note that the video says the bricks used are made on site...so they may not be cutting as many bricks, but they are being sized in the process somewhere. You will have to cut bricks in this build, so just be prepared with a few extra "test" bricks. Also take note on the laying of bricks on that upper ring of the video that they do NOT put mortar between the steel and bricks. The metal expands more and more quickly than the brick, so any mortar "bond" between them is broken as soon as the curing process begins. Those bricks simply rest on the angle iron and mortaring there would be simply a waste of time and material.

Hope this helps...
            Roseburg, Oregon

Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile

Comment

I am making a 36" oven but my door is 9 inch high and 18 inch broad. But I can not go higher because the ring lays on the wall and there start the first ring.
              As long as the oven gets enough air I am happy. We do not bake bread or so and for big roasts I have build a smoker and my neighbour has a spit with a standing fire.
              But we do have a dutch oven and that just goes trough the door I am making from some scrap metal 0.2 "thick.

Ad

Comment

Looks good Ad. You'll be fine with the opening you've planned. I just wanted to make sure you'd be able to see into the oven and work pizza towards the back. If you have already purchased a pizza peel, try using it to place and work imaginary pizzas to the middle, sides, and further back.

My humble opinion here is that I think you'll find that making focaccia or roasted vegetables on a sheet pan and other main course items in your dutch oven the day after a pizza party will be quite rewarding (and popular ). Also putting some damp apple or cherry wood chips in a covered tray in your oven with some of that beautiful pork you can get in Europe, will create a pretty special meal that's very tasty (IMHO-the pork will be much more moist than from an open fire spit)...and as long as your oven is adequately insulated below and over the dome, it will retain pretty good heat for a couple days (assuming you build a well insulated door too ).
                Roseburg, Oregon

Comment

This is how far I am now.
                  Question: is it a good idea to weld the steel ring to the door?
                  next is making the sand form. Hight will be about 14.5 "
                  by Ad.
                  Last edited by atak; 08-31-2017, 06:57 AM.

Comment

the door

Comment

First, nice looking metal work Ad! In answer to your question...Don't weld the top steel ring to the door. When the metal heats up it will expand. If at all possible, you really should leave a gap between them to allow for this expansion (and so it doesn't push out on your door structure every firing) . Remember, that's also why you are not going to mortar the bricks that sit in the ring to the metal...just mortar in the brick to brick spaces.

Also be aware that the metal/oven chamber entry connection you have built will conduct a lot of heat to the outside plates, so the entire opening/face plate structure will get pretty hot when you fire up the oven. For that reason, you will want allow for expansion space all around the metal insert.

It would be great if you could somehow create a heat break between the metal and the fire bricks...just a thought. I see the bolt holes in your door structure for the steel band(s) to be placed around the lower wall section...glad to see that to help keep the lower bricks from being pushed out by the top dome.
                      Roseburg, Oregon

Comment

No Mike, the bolt holes are for the chimney, I am going to bolt that to the door and maybe use one stand at the end. Some guy in N-Z did that and I liked it.
                        I will put some insulation blanked between the wall and the metal and vermecrete to hold it in place but the ring by the door will be in the heat I suppose. The band will come at the hight of 2/3 of the standing brick.
                        Thanks for the comment and thinking along. Goodnight, Ad.

Comment

With what do you close the gap from metal bottom to pizza floor? and with what can I close the gap that will exist outside from the metal wheel ? Can I make a mixture from refractory and vermiculli from 5:1 to embed the door? and can I close this gap from the wheel with fireclay and sand and refractorie mixture?

I have made the metal band and fastened the metal wheel. Next is forming the sand and than making the dome. These guys know how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnNOl7fTmIg

Thanks for the answers, Ad.

Comment

The steel band is placed, the door is secure, the steel wheel is laid in a bed of mortar.
                            I also have formed the inside of the door with duck tape and put vermiculite and refractory mortar in it so close it and have some insulation.
                            Last edited by atak; 09-06-2017, 07:45 AM. Reason: no photo to be seen.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X