Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New UK Oven

Hi Alistair,

I'm just over the border in East Sussex, just north of Lewes, so we are practically neighbours.
    Most of the local builders merchants stock fire bricks, all fairly expensive though. The cheapest I found was Chandlers at Ringmer but still approx ?2.70+VAT ea. I didn't try the merchants in your area, but I would imagine Jewson in Goddard's Green will stock and deliver them. In the end I used recycled storage heater bricks as they came free, but it is a extremely dusty and time consuming job cutting these bricks.

Anyway good luck with your build.

Regards

Fig

Comment

Thanks Fig,

Thanks for the local info, I'll do a bit of face to face investigating instead of browsing the internet. Probably the best place I have found so far is in the midlands, Dudley Designs, they have a wide range of sizes, and not bad prices, but then delivery is a bit expensive.

Yeah it does seem we have to pay 5x as much as they do in the US for bricks, economy of scale I suppose.

BTW, how did you source fire clay, or did you use something else?

Alistair

Comment

Yorkshire refractories were supposed to be ~1.20 a brick, ?50 delivery and had fireclay...
        Matt S, Cambs, UK
        42" Pompeii

Pizza oven pictures - WIP!

Pizza oven costs (so far!)

Comment

If its any comfort, the Swiss ones weren't exactly cheap either...
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

... a little.
            But you are so close to Italy; I noticed on my trip to Umbria that every garden centre seemed to sell oven "kits". Did you not consider a trip south to source an oven?

Alistair

Comment

Alister

I was very lucky, Peter W sold me his left over fire clay for the price of the postage.
              Clayman supplies in Chichester stock Fire Clay, only probably 30 to 45mins from Burgess Hill.

website is Clayman Pottery Supplies

Fig

Comment

Working...
              X