How many fire bricks do I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many fire bricks do I buy?

I am going to the store tomorrow to purchase my fire bricks. does anyone have a calculator for how many fire bricks I should buy for a 42" diameter oven with 21" dome?

Inaddition, someone posted a calculator for cutting bricks. Is there a place on this site where these calculators are stored for downloading?
    Last edited by maburton; 04-27-2008, 05:43 PM.

Re: How many fire bricks do I buy?

Have you downloaded the Pompeii plans from the FB store. I don't recall specifically the number of bricks...if you have it you could check for the 40 inch pompeii and probably increase the amount by 10 to 20 percent
    I don't recall a downloader for brick cutting other than the one about the "Angle-ize" product. I purchased one from a website called Dewalt power and cordless tools - Porter cable tools - Dewalt...it is listed as "the Angle-izer"...will cost about $25 shipping and all...comes with a CD rom that will do all kinds of calculations and tips for you with regard to cutting brick and tile
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

No calculator that I know of. Start with 250 if the vendor is close by. You should be able to return any unused brick. You might end up using 300 by the time you are done. Every build is different.
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I was able to buy a full pallet (300 bricks) at a discount and get it delivered to my house. It may be worth asking your dealer. Also, remember if you are going to be cutting each brick to fit tight you wil need alot more brick.

The only calculator I remember was an excel spreadsheet that helped you lay out your floor and showed you how may bricks you would need for it. Never seen one for the dome.
        Last edited by beaglestorm; 04-27-2008, 10:53 PM.

Comment

thanks for the info, I will start with 250.
          I have a print out of the pompeii plans in my notebook. I re-read it last night and did not find a reference to how many bricks to purchase. I thought I had read somewhere in the past that I need 200 bricks.

thanks forthe help.

Comment

I did a brick count for the 36, but for the 42 someone else will have to answer.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...ayout-171.html

My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by maburton View Post
              I am going to the store tomorrow to purchase my fire bricks. does anyone have a calculator for how many fire bricks I should buy for a 42" diameter oven with 21" dome?

Inaddition, someone posted a calculator for cutting bricks. Is there a place on this site where these calculators are stored for downloading?
              I used about 290 bricks for my 42". All bricks were cut in half, then trimmed on 3 sides. If you plan on custom cutting the bricks to fit, 250 would be a safe bet. That will get you close enough to estimate how many remaining bricks you will need to buy on your second trip to the brickyard.

If you are not going to custom cut the bricks (as per the Forno Bravo plans) the estimate in the plans should be pretty accurate.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

what degree of angle did you cut on each brick? all I have is the small tile saw. was it too complicated to custom fit all the bricks with 3 way cuts? did you think it helped or did you do it just because you wanted to?

Comment

Originally posted by maburton View Post
                  what degree of angle did you cut on each brick?
                  Each course had different angles .

was it too complicated to custom fit all the bricks with 3 way cuts? did you think it helped or did you do it just because you wanted to?
                  It really isn't that complicated. Take a look at my "Old Kentucky Dome" thread (linked below). I have all the photos and descriptions in there on how I did it.

I'm going to guess that 49% of the builders custom cut bricks and 49% use plain half bricks.

did you think it helped
                  I don't think the oven cares one way or the other. For me it was economics. I live in an area where HeatStop mortar is $80/bag and bricks are only $1.25 each. By cutting the bricks to fit I used a lot more (cheap) bricks and a fraction of the (high priced) mortar I would have needed otherwise.

If you are lucky enough to find inexpensive mortar or make your own, you may save $$ by using untrimmed half bricks.
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Comment

BS Ken! You just loved the precision element involved in building that awesome dome! Expensive mortar was just an excuse to tighten up the specs.

Funnin' ya - of course!
                    GJBingham
                    -----------------------------------
                    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                      BS Ken! You just loved the precision element involved in building that awesome dome! Expensive mortar was just an excuse to tighten up the specs.

Funnin' ya - of course!
                      Haha

George, you nailed that one on the head!

But Ken's oven is oh so purdy!
                      My thread:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                      My costs:
                      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                      My pics:
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

OH... I used 217 bricks.
                        I didn't do any angles....

You can check out my complete material list on my spreadsheet.
                        Just click on the link below, under
                        My costs:
                        My thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                        My costs:
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                        My pics:
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                          uhmm, well, yes. There was a bit of fun in the precision, planning, cutting, etc.
                          Ken H. - Kentucky
                          42" Pompeii

Comment

Working...
                          X