No announcement yet.

Another WFO in the UK - 42" Pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So i got 2 of my decorative brick arches cut, it was an absolute nightmare cutting through the 110mm height at such a steep angle especially on the full length bricks. It did not help that my blade was blunt at this stage, i persevered and got the job finished while i had all the gear out but bought a new blade for next time! I also made some arch formers to help with the alignment of the bricks on the arch, I laser cut the outline and spacing onto each side as well as a vertical and horizontal line to help me level up the former

I have not done much research on brick arches on here but i found this website online called blocklayer.com which was super useful when calculating the arch brick dimensions, exactly what i was after and its free in case anyone else is in need for future

https://www.blocklayer.com/masonry-arch.aspx

Comment

I got the formers in place and levelled up nicely, i made them a little too tight so had to shave them down a little but they went in in the end. I tested the bricks on the former and they looked amazing so got cracking with the rest of the bricks so i could see some arch happening, this is all i got done today, more tommorow

Comment

More from today

Comment

That looks awesome !!! I love that type of brick..

Very neat work..

The plans bouncing around in my head are very similar..

Comment

Finally got to the worktop height with the brickwork, i then dropped the arch formers, but forgot that there would be a hell of a mess on the bricks i couldnt reach, an hour of chipping away at the messy mortar and i was left with a nice channel to fill for pointing up the joins. I also got my first batch of logs, a neighbour was wanting rid of a tree so we chopped it down for them with the wood as payment, good deal i say

Comment

Brick joins mortared up, very hard to be neat at this point as all the mortar just want to fall back out. Give the garden a tidy and got rid of all the slopped mortar and its looking pretty good i think.

Pelm1, thanks for the comment, if i can help with any questions you have when you get around to it feel free to give me a shout and all the best with your build

Comment

Great job Brad. Those reclaimed bricks look ace. Very rustic

Comment

Thanks Micky, yeah they look great dont they?

Quick question for the experienced folk on here, im having a headache working out how im going to start my front arch and vent transition. I will be installing the arch with a heatbreak.

Do i build straight off the concrete hearth for the arch structure and only insulate under the landing, or do i insulate under the whole front end (i just seem to remember reading somewhere not to put too much weight on the insulation board especially as i will be doing a full brick chimney) Obviously building straight off the concrete is also not ideal as heat will be sapped out into the hearth

I know the best way would be to pour a vermicrete pad to build off but i dont really have the time to allow it to dry as i want to start building on it in 4 days time and i recall it takes a long time to set?

Any advice would be great!

Comment

Was trying to think how I did mine. Looks like I had insulated up to past the door. That very front bit has none at all. It doesn't get THAT hot to be honest, not at the very front. Upper bit does, due to the smoke and heat out the oven entrance.
                    My oven hearth DOES get very warm though - you can actually feel the concrete on the underside next day! However, I only did ONE thickness calsil board not two like you did and I regret not corner cutting like that as maybe THAT is why the concrete is now cracked through! We can chat over a beer in a couple of weeks when Im through

Comment

• Cheers Micky! Im thinking unless people advise otherwise, im just going to build my arch on top of a double thickness insulation board seen as i have it here and hopefully that heat wont get sapped away into the hearth. I dont see why strength would be an issue as the rest of the dome is built on the stuff, i suppose its more concentrated weight especially as i plan a brick chimney too

I see you have the uniform and everything now for MickyPizza, looking great! Yeah definitly have to catch up for a beer and see the progress!

Comment

• Just go for it then kidda. Because, in the unlikely event it does subside a little, the front arch and chimney will - but the rest of the oven wont be affected will it. You'll be fine. Like I said though, the heat doesnt get THAT hot on the floor at the front. I can put my hand in a good foot or so without issue. And if you're installing a heat break anyway....
                        Just crack on with the curing is my advice. That vermicretes a bitch!

Comment

• OK so ive made some good progress this weekend! First up i made myself another arch template for the entrance arch, i shimmed it up and screwed it to my old entrance template 10mm offset so that when i push the former full in, the arch stops 10mm away from the dome so i have an edge to follow for my air gap. I also ordered some high temperature and 12mm heat rope, although i may get something thinner, 10 or 8mm as it doesnt look like it will squash much

Comment

• Next i cut some bricks to start the arch, i placed them in position and found i needed to chop one row down as they had to end up at my first line of my arch former as that is where the first of the taped bricks will start, i left a 10mm gap all around the dome to pack with the heat rope. After the bottom row was cut down i mortared them in place and moved onto the next batch. It was too confusing trying to get my head around all the bricks i needed as there is a bunch of different brick sizes and shaped required so i just took one section at a time to keep it 'easy'. Labelled each brick at this point as it can easily get confusing which brick goes where.

I also decided to build straight on the concrete base for the arch, i remember reading reasons for and against building on the concrete but them there are pros and cons to building on the insulation also, so i hope i made the right decision? i guess it matters less for me anyway as i have an independent front arch? i will be insulating under the entrance floor just not under the base of the arch
                            Last edited by brad mole; 04-22-2019, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• And moved onto the next section, this was where my vent starts forming, the big headache, so i started by cutting thinner bricks to create 2 arches, one front and one back which would leave a big gap in the centre where my vent will narrow up to my anchor plate. After cutting and test fitting the back arch i decded to taper the fronts of the bricks to help with air flow so i marked them up and trimmed an angle off the front of each

Comment

• More pics and then the front arch done too, looking nice and neat just how i like it!

Comment

Working...
                                X