36" Pompeii Dome Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by david s View Post

Yes you will need to insulate it. A thin casting or flue tile that is uninsulated is bound to crack. In my design the decorative arch sits in front of the flue gallery with a 6 mm expansion gap between the top of the flue gallery and outer decorative arch. Above it 10:1 vermicrete surrounds it over which a stucco coat holds everything together. However you do it, it should be insulated otherwise a hot surface inside and a cold surface outside will be too much for it.
    Whatever mortar you use, time wil tell how durable it will be.
    Do you think 1" blanket is suffient in the front?
    My Build Pictures
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

• Originally posted by Chach View Post

Do you think 1" blanket is suffient in the front?
      Yes, I’m sure it will be.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• ok ceramic blanket installed and charcoal briquettes in the oven holding at around 200 degrees at the dome. rigjt now i habe the charcoal in an aluminum pan sitting on a few fire brick. tomorrow ill start the charcoal on the floor.

will a tent keep this oven dry from the rain? and if it gets wet is do i have to start the cure ll over? Just trying to figure out how to keep ot dry while its hot and if it rains and the wind blows it under a tent
        My Build Pictures

Comment

• Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!
          My Build Pictures

Comment

• Throw a tarp or some sheet plastic over it if it looks like raining. A tent or gazebo even better, otherwise keep it uncovered to allow sun and wind to assist moisture to escape.

Comment

• I notice that your floor bricks extend out past the blanket. The whole oven should be encapsulated in insulation otherwise heat will conduct outwards via the floor bricks. You could cut the bricks off so they don’t extend past the base of the dome. As these cuts are not seen they can be a bit rough. A diamond blade on a 6” angle grinder works pretty well, but wear a good mask. Then if you have any blanket offcuts left, insulate the space left where the floor bricks were.

Comment

I notice that your floor bricks extend out past the blanket. The whole oven should be encapsulated in insulation otherwise heat will conduct outwards via the floor bricks. You could cut the bricks off so they don’t extend past the base of the dome. As these cuts are not seen they can be a bit rough. A diamond blade on a 6” angle grinder works pretty well, but wear a good mask. Then if you have any blanket offcuts left, insulate the space left where the floor bricks were.

not sure what you mean? I left a gap between the oven floor and the vent floor. I also have a gap between the side vent walls and the cast flue from the dome and I inserted 1/2" ceramic rope between the dome and the vent walls and flue. the floor bricks are flush to the end with the vent walls and also have a gap at the sides and is on thermal gold 12 and foamglas. I didnt however put Insulation on the the front of the walls of the vent just on the flue cast. should I put 2 little strips on those pieces?
                My Build Pictures

Comment

• Originally posted by Chach View Post

not sure what you mean? I left a gap between the oven floor and the vent floor. I also have a gap between the side vent walls and the cast flue from the dome and I inserted 1/2" ceramic rope between the dome and the vent walls and flue. the floor bricks are flush to the end with the vent walls and also have a gap at the sides and is on thermal gold 12 and foamglas. I didnt however put Insulation on the the front of the walls of the vent just on the flue cast. should I put 2 little strips on those pieces?
                  Maybe I'm misreading your design and/or I didn't explain too well. Here is a pic of what I meant.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0455.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	846.9 KB ID:	414126

Comment

Maybe I'm misreading your design and/or I didn't explain too well. Here is a pic of what I meant.

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_0455.jpeg Views:\t2 Size:\t846.9 KB ID:\t414126","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"414126","data-size":"medium"}

oh i see no the floor bricks are cut inside the oven and the dome built around them the only thing that sticks out past the dome is the 2 insulation boards...i see what your talking about though should i cut the insulation back and put the blanket around the.edge of the board?
                    My Build Pictures

Comment

• Ok. Sorry I thought your top layer of insulation was fire brick. If you are building an igloo then cut the protruding insulation off. If you are building an enclosure then just make sure the insulation is inside it. You don’t want any insulation that is absorbent exposed to the weather.

Comment

Ok. Sorry I thought your top layer of insulation was fire brick. If you are building an igloo then cut the protruding insulation off. If you are building an enclosure then just make sure the insulation is inside it. You don’t want any insulation that is absorbent exposed to the weather.
                        No problem...we are on the same page. Im going to buy some lime stone sills to put around the perimeter then get some 18g galvanized exterior metal studs soon and at least get the walls up. I want to figure how i want the roof to end up. either gable roof or semi circle roof. Decisions decisions decisions.
                        My Build Pictures

Comment

• Maybe try ferrocement

Comment

Maybe try ferrocement
                            Wow that is amazing...Im not letting you talk me into it.
                            .lol it really is a work of art.
                            My Build Pictures

Comment

• Did several smaller fires working my way up to 700 degrees and today i took it to the max. i had the dome at 1027 degrees and saw the dome partially clear then work its way down until it was fully clear. This SOB is hot wow. outside dome is basically outside temp with the 3" of ceramic blanket. I had a thawed out personal frozen pizza and threw it in there lol. it crisped up nicely was done in a few minutes and was totally transformed from doing it in the microwave or conventional oven. Was good so I can imagine what the real deal is going to be like. Now to get heat proof gloves a few peels and a brush/log pusher.

I was going to do 4" block on my enclosure but that would add another 3000 pounds to the structure so I decided to get 18g structural steel studs. I'm going with cement board and according to cultured stone you don't need a scratch coat with that i did the same thing i side my home for a fireplace and even a brick layer told me you don't need a scratch coat its cement. I have seen others use a scratch coat on top of the cement board and I never understood why. I do however want a water proof membrane on the walls and they recommend 1 layer of 15# asphalt sandwiched between cement board. I may do that. put up 1/2" sheet of durock then the membrane then a 1/2" of durock on top.
                              Last edited by Chach; 06-23-2019, 08:35 PM.
                              My Build Pictures

Comment

• Always neat to see the dome clear. Next time pay attention to the smell, there is a unique smell just as the carbon begins to burn off. This will give you another clue on when the oven is ready.
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X