36" Pompeii Dome Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
    I believe that i still have his phone number. He was very instrumental in getting my oven built when i did it. If we don't hear from him in a bit remind me and i will try to give him a call.
    That would be great! Thanks guy.
    My Build Pictures
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

• I will give him a few days to see if he responds. But from what I remember he built a insulated door and had the smoke pistol in the middle of the door. Have you built your insulated door yet? If not just build 2 at the same time and incorporate the smoke injector in one of them.

Comment

• Chach

Ok it has been a while but here I am.... What is your question regarding the doors? I have 3 doors. One is 4 inch insulated. One is for baking with minimal insulation

a round window and one is not insulated with a hole for a pistol smoker entry.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

• Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
          Chach

Ok it has been a while but here I am.... What is your question regarding the doors? I have 3 doors. One is 4 inch insulated. One is for baking with minimal insulation

a round window and one is not insulated with a hole for a pistol smoker entry.

Chip
          Hey Chip,

I was thinking of Using a smoke generator with my oven...i was going to drill a hole in a door made for this application same as you. Did you drill another hole for the smoke to escape or crack the door open. just curious on how you used this. How did it work for you?

Ricky
          My Build Pictures

Comment

• Ricky, I would recommend a second door for smoking because a hole in your insulated door would potentially leave cold air in.

also the insulated door may have a seal that does not allow enough smoke to escape.

My smoking door has no insulation, a hole at the bottom for the smoke pistol tube to enter.

The oven will retain enough heat for the smoke session

Chip

Chip

Comment

I will give him a few days to see if he responds. But from what I remember he built a insulated door and had the smoke pistol in the middle of the door. Have you built your insulated door yet? If not just build 2 at the same time and incorporate the smoke injector in one of them.
              A friend of mine is welding it up for me. Its all 304 stainless with 4" of calsil board and stainless handles. Ill make a second door but i would need more insulation or just do an uninsulated door for this application.
              My Build Pictures

Comment

• Smoke pistol
                Chip

Comment

Smoke pistol
                  Very nice...so you left a little gap on the bottom of the door for smoke to escape. very exciting how is the food?
                  My Build Pictures

Comment

• Chach

No the gap at the bottom was there becaues i thought i would be using this door as a draft door for warming the oven. The smoke escapes around the edges at the top of the door because there is no seal the fit is such that enough air escapes around the edges of the door. I plug the gap you see at the bottom of the door with a rag and someday i may build a proper smoking door.
                    Chip

Comment

• Chach

Regarding your handles for your insulated door. I have my handle supports mounted all the way thru into the interior of the oven, they should only mount on the outer skin of the insulated door as the heat transfers thru the bolts i used as handle supports and it has even charred the skin wood of my insulated door. you may need to reinforce the outer skin to allow for this. but if no metal goes thru into the oven it is best.

I have had my insulated door for over 8 years now and still working great.

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

Chach

Regarding your handles for your insulated door. I have my handle supports mounted all the way thru into the interior of the oven, they should only mount on the outer skin of the insulated door as the heat transfers thru the bolts i used as handle supports and it has even charred the skin wood of my insulated door. you may need to reinforce the outer skin to allow for this. but if no metal goes thru into the oven it is best.

I have had my insulated door for over 8 years now and still working great.

Chip
                        I agree with the handles I thought about that when designing it and they are welded to the outer stainless no bolts at all. I was going to do stainless L brackets and wood dowles for the handles but decided to do stainless handles instead. Hopefully there is minimum heat transfer from the fire brick to the outer skin. I suppose stove gasketing around the door for a seal would reduce that anyway.
                        My Build Pictures

Comment

Chach

No the gap at the bottom was there becaues i thought i would be using this door as a draft door for warming the oven. The smoke escapes around the edges at the top of the door because there is no seal the fit is such that enough air escapes around the edges of the door. I plug the gap you see at the bottom of the door with a rag and someday i may build a proper smoking door.
                          How long do you smoke for while cooking? The entire time or do you do a few hours and let the oven do the rest? How are your results on taste? Im sure you have made everything under the sun in there. I plan on doing ribs, brisket, chicken, and pork butt.
                          Last edited by Chach; 03-22-2020, 09:34 AM.
                          My Build Pictures

Comment

• Hey Ricky, have you managed to get any more work done now that you can't leave home? I have been removing the remaining patio that was left from the old raised paver deck. I have smashed about 135sqft of solid concrete that is 4 to 5" thick with a 8# maul. Luckily the concreet recycling place is still open. I have hauled 3 truck loads so far and probably have 3 to 4 more to go. I can't wait to get that done. I may start digging the footing for the oven here soon if i don't go back to work soon.

Randy

Comment

Hey Ricky, have you managed to get any more work done now that you can't leave home? I have been removing the remaining patio that was left from the old raised paver deck. I have smashed about 135sqft of solid concrete that is 4 to 5" thick with a 8# maul. Luckily the concreet recycling place is still open. I have hauled 3 truck loads so far and probably have 3 to 4 more to go. I can't wait to get that done. I may start digging the footing for the oven here soon if i don't go back to work soon.

Randy
                              Well We are considered essential work force here in Chicago so I was still working but Friday I asked for a layoff. I was around too many people on a dailey basis. So now I'm taking advantage of the journeyman recall. I still have my work truck and phone so I'll take a few weeks off and see how the world is. Sounds like your killing your projects. We have been cleaning the house like crazy here. Basement next and then I can start framing down there. As far as the oven I'm waiting for my stone arch to be fabricated then I can install and continue my stone but it's still pretty cold at night so I may wait a week or so to continue. So with the new oven are you going to build the dome? I know you were talking about buying one.

Ricky
                              My Build Pictures

Comment

• That is still up in the air a bit. I was going to buy one but they didn't ship this fat. I also looked in to a mason that builds ovens but i worry i won't get what i am hoping for. So for now i am thinking about getting the footing in place so i can move in any direction form there. It would be nice to have that in before the patio goes in.

Comment

Working...
                                X