Flagstone Chimney Cap and Spark Arrestor Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flagstone Chimney Cap and Spark Arrestor Question

Newb here from Burlington, Ontario. Just finished my 36" dome and about to work on the vent. I will be installing a 6" Duravent chimney. What I would ideally like to do is enclose the chimney and make the chimney cap from a piece of flagstone, supported by 4 stones or bricks.

Question I have is, what is the best way to install a spark arrestor with this type of design? I was thinking of either putting mesh at the top of the chimney, below the cap (mesh would be horizontal across the opening). I would have to check the chimney top regularly to make sure it is not clogged (only 24" chimney), but you would not see the mesh. Or, making a circle of mesh and putting it between the flagstone cap and top of the chimney (mesh would be vertical).

Hope this makes sense. Any thoughts from those who have done this type of chimney cap design would be much appreciated. Thanks very much!

Because a cross draft oven does not have flame leaping to the flue, unlike an updraft design, i’ve never seen a spark at the top of the chimney. However if you want to install a spark arrestor just make sure it’s easy to remove because it’s bound to clog up with soot.
    Last edited by david s; 11-03-2018, 06:27 PM. Reason: Clog
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David!

Comment

Can someone put my mind at ease about placing my pizza oven near my patio. The clearance of the smoke and heat (see pic) is safe. The patio roof cover is aluminum. I plan to use a double lined 6" x 12" chimney with spark arrestor. I know flames shoot up thru the chimney. Should I use a taller one? 24"? 36"? Should chimney go higher than roof? This all depends on whether I can or should even install a pizza oven. Thanks in advance.
        cantc get pic uploaded. The chimney will be about 12-18" beyond/out from the roof line. About 4-5' below the roof line.

Comment

cantc get pic uploaded
          Are you using the Share photos (camera icon) in the top left of the reply box?
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Measure a 10ft horizontal line from the slope of the patio roof to the center of your flue. The opening of the flue should extend 2" above that line.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf, the flue will be only about 2' out from the sloped roof, about 4 feet below the end of the roof. If I use a 12" flue will the flames come out the end is my fear.

Comment

Gulf, yes I am using the camera icon. It says the file is too big. Although, I can upload pics but not my drawing.

Comment

A pic would really help. Maybe we can talk you through getting one uploaded. From your description, the flue needs to be extended. Most use the guideline "2' above any structure within 10 ft of the flue".

Comment

Try doing a screen capture of your drawing. Then upload it as a pic.
                    Last edited by Gulf; 11-11-2018, 02:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Only pics around 1.1 mg in a jpeg format can be attached to post. I just yesterday tried to attached a 3.3 mg pic to my post and it would not take. So I reduced the file size and it attached. The new smart phones can take really high resolution pics hence large file sizes. Reduce your pic file size and it should attach.

Every city or village has a specific building code based on UBC (Uniform Building Code) which does follow, but may have variations, to what Gulf is mentioning. But to be certain, you really need to talk you your city building code department on clearances and heights.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                      X