No announcement yet.

Oven Build in Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was contemplating the milestones a builder of a WFO meets during the build, IMHO. First is actually starting the oven. I think the next is transitioning the arch. Then closing the dome Maybe the first curing fire. Definitely the first dome clearing fire (its very cool to see). Last, and most important, is the first pizza.

I reached the last two yesterday, on Cinco de Mayo (perhaps cinque di Maggio?). It really is spectacular to see the dome clear. It only took about 90 minutes to get to temperature. Too be honest, I wasn't timing it. I didn't try a quick fire, but built it up gradually.

The pizza cooked beautifully in about 90 seconds. My Italian wife loved pizza bianco growing up. That's a simple pizza with olive oil, coarse salt and rosemary. If not that its a simple margherita with fresh basil. My choice, pictured here, should more closely described as "the kitchen sink". The more stuff on it the better!

And, what could be better than a beautiful evening eating the first pizza from the oven you built. The beer helps!

Comment

• Congrats on the first pizza party. Actually, I find and tell my guests, when they are making their pizzas, "less is best". Sometimes they pile so high it affects the end product uncooked middle when you are cooking 90-120 sec pizzas.
      Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-07-2019, 06:39 AM.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Great job on getting to this point, and you are correct it is a major milestone to get to the point that you can make pizza. You will have many more in the future to look ahead to. Be proud you have a beautiful oven and will have many years of fond memories of using it.

Comment

• Thank you Russell and Randy. We're pretty excited about the parties to come. My wife reminded me that I still have to finish the rest of the outdoor kitchen.

Cory

Comment

• Simply amazing. Very nice job and congratulations on your project. Looks fantastic.
            My Build Pictures
            https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

• Thanks Chach! I'm now focusing on the rest of my incomplete outdoor kitchen. You've completed yours, and it is very impressive. Your oven build is not far behind. Excellent work, BTW.

Cory

Comment

• Finally the weather has cooled off in Houston and back to the oven. I had to take the summer off. Cooking in a 900 degree oven when its 95 degrees outside with 90% humidity is not a pleasurable time. I was concern that the oven might have absorbed some moisture over the past few months. We get a fair amount of rain, and it's always humid. Due to an over abundance of caution I started with a low fire for a few hours before cranking it up. I'm happy to announce there are still no cracks (knock on wood).

I have to give kudos to Utah Beehiver for his suggestion that less is more when putting toppings on a pizza. We had 12 over for pizza last night and several loaded their pizzas. Not only does it increase the cooking time but the toppings falling off tend to foul the floor.

I recently returned from a trip to Italy where my in-laws live. We went to their favorite pizza restaurant. I don't know if you are like me or not, but I like to watch the pros to try and improve my pizza making skills. They probably thought I was a nut watching them and asking questions in my broken Italian. Their impression of me would have been further reinforced if they saw me take a side view photo of a slice of pizza to show how thin they were able to stretch the crust.

Comment

• Nice pizza shot! Living in the Pacific Northwest, we don't have air conditioning, so even though it is unpleasant standing in front of a hot oven when the temperatures are 80+, it beats the heck out of cooking in the house and heating the interior further.
                  My build thread
                  https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

• Cory,

I agree with both of JR's statements. I live in the deep South with a lot of hot weather and high humidity also. I agree that late summer is not the best time to be cooking pizza and turning steaks in the entry. But, firing the oven does not require nearly as much attention. I get to slip out to the oven for a little cold beverage and fire therapy . I fire my oven year round for the retained heat cooking. Breads, chicken, roasts, hams, ribs, brisket etc. It really does take a load off of the heat pump and the eletcric bill imo.
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• The oven is probably the coolest thing I have right now...Don't get me wrong I love my pool fireplace and outdoor kitchen but not many have this beast to cook in...I propose a toast to all us builders may our pizzas come outstanding, may our ovens stay hot from use and last a lifetime. Salute.
                      Last edited by Chach; 11-05-2019, 04:55 AM.
                      My Build Pictures
                      https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

• Joe,

You definitely know the weather I'm talking about. My hats off to you (but sweat band on) for cooking in the heat. I'll show more resiliency next summer!

JR,

I do agree in cooking outside to lower the electric bills. Down hear hose can be punishing. I have a bunch of friends in the Seattle area. They don't have A/C either, but rarely need it.

Chach,

Here, here. I'm with you on the toast. The ovens are beautiful construction. A true work of love. A lot for all of us to be proud of.

Comment

Working...
                        X