Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More progress in Australia

Our oven story continues:

I debated long and hard about insulation, and decide in this case more is better, and put another 2 inches of Cal sil on top of my verm layer.

To keep it all contained, and bring everything to one level I poured a perimeter of concrete around vermicrete and calsil layer.

Again with much aahm and err I decide on 2 inch refractory tiles for the oven floor. I sprinkled dry fireclay under some tiles to level them up - it came up pretty well, but still some high edges in places. Today I hired a diamond 9 " grinder to smooth the floor out really well, but it was actually too savage for the job, so I may go over it with a belt sander before I start laying bricks.

Thats all our progress to now.

Thanks to everyone in the FB forum for contributions, and a few people who gave some direct advice to help me get to this stage. There really is so much information within the forum you can get confused, so I think you just need to decide what's best for you and go for it! ( That doesn't mean I won't be asking lots more questions!

Look forward to send in more updates,

All the best

Andrew

Re: More progress in Australia

Hi Andrew,
    well under way, and a way togo.
    You will enjoy building it and also using it.
    Keep up the pics so we can follow your progress.
    Are yo going for an igloo or framed Pompeii?

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I will be going for an igloo style, 300 mm tiled landing across the front, 100 mm tiled edge along the sides(?), and probably flush at the back. But it is only early days..........

All the best

Andrew

Comment

Nice work Andrew! I think the tiles will be fine. We'll find out, one way or another once you start cooking. Keep posting those pics! We love 'em!
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Thanks for the comments!!

After much debate, and also discussion with Neil from Adelaide, I decided to beef up my floor and put a layer of 1 inch splits under the 2 inch tiles(that I had took so much time to level and get just right)! It may take a bit longer to heat up, but I'm lucky to have plentiful supplies of good redgum at my back door.

Anyway the project is back happening again when I get time.

The tapered bricks are good to lay - I think it must be easier than shimming straight bricks.

some pics attached, more to come.

All the best, Andrew

Comment

Lookin' good Andrew,
            you will be motivated to get it ready for firing the closer you get. It is surprising how quickly it comes together especially if you put in a full day.
            Next get your superwool blanket, pin it down carefully and cover with vermiculite over the chicken wire covering. All the detail and problems are on my site. Don't be afraid to phone if you get stuck. Only too willing to assist.
            Keep up the good work and next time I'm past your way, I'll call in for a feed from the oven.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

I got carried away and forgot to take some photos of building the arch, so there is a bit of a jump from my last posting. The inner arch was good practice for the one that really counts, on the outside.

Almost finished the transition over my inner arch. Basically I just used corner off cuts and made them fit where I could. I looks a bit ugly on the outside - but if you guys don't tell no one will ever know!? Someone on the forum said just keep laying bricks and make the transition happen - good advice.

All the best

Comment

Looking good mate, keep us updated!
                Regards
                Adrian

Comment

Nice work - I like the way your arch came together!

Sarah

Comment

An update on my oven.........

When I was working bricks around the transition over the inner arch I knew the dome had gone a bit out of round ? but towards closing the dome it becomes really oval and a challenge to get it looking ok. Anyway I ended up using lots of smaller pieces as the dome closed (some angles cut previously), so not a lot of mortar gaps, but some odd looking patterns! Some cutting and grinding got me two keystones which I had to tap into place ? this dome definitely won?t collapse!

Last photo shows ready to build the outer arch and flue opening. Still not 100% sure how it will come together???.

Comment

After studying many vent building designs here I ran with one Ken and Wayne had showed good detail on(but mine was clearly not as well built)

The flue transition caused me waaaay too much head scratching and laying awake thinking. I knew bricking up a flat base was going to get messy, so I came up with something that is so simple and super strong. The local engineers rolled a peice of stainless steel plate to my arch curve. I had some old 8 inch stainless steel pipe, which was a perfect i.d. for the 8 " flue I bought. A bit of cutting and grinding, welded a piece of stainless pipe to the plate, and I had something I knew would work. The transition was dyna bolted to the arch and hey presto it starts to look like something!

I have one 2 inch layer of ceramic blanket 2/3 up the sides, and two layers on the top. Some chicken wire over the outside, and I?m ready to put the vermiculite on. Unsure about how thick the vermin-crete layer should be, but thinking 2 inches would be enough over the 2 inches of ceramic blanket. Any thoughts?.........

Comment

Hi Andrew, great to see you nearing the end of construction and almost ready to cook. I guess that you can almost smell those pizzas.
                        Don't get too concerned about the oven going a little oval nor the appeaqrence of the inside dome as it won't affect the performance at all.
                        I would be lighting a few larger fires in it starting the drying process as ithe vermiculite and render will only slow down the moisture dissipation from the dome bricks.
                        Run a couple to three one inch layers )I found it quite difficult to get any more thasn this especially on the almost vertical sides), of vermiculite over the dome and at least one render and hey presto, ready to tile, paint, fina stucco coat and cook. It will not even get warm from the 500˚C oven temps.
                        Hey, you can tile it and/or the bench area anytime.

Enjoy!!!

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                        Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Finished project !!!

My oven is finished at last thanks to all the help on FB.(Except for paving around it) We have used it several times, and honestly I can't find anything I don't like about it!!!

I made a door out of 3 mm steel plate, insulated with 20 mm of dry vermiculite. Seems to work well, the handles never get too hot to touch.

The outside finish is an acrylic render mix. I patted the surface with a dust pan brush as the render was going off which gave it a great looking dimpled effect. It is finally painted with 2 coats of exterior acrylic paint plus some Bond-Crete for extra water proofing. I also rendered the base, but gave that a trowel finish.

This project has been one the most rewarding I can recall. I am a farmer, so have practical skills, but had never laid a brick before, done very little concreting at all, and never rendering. Just goes to show how far good advice and determination can get you!!

I will post some more info on how the oven works etc etc.

All the best and thanks again for help and advice.

Andrew

Comment

Good on you Andrew,
                            it only goes to show that if you put your mind to it, you can lay anything you want!!
                            Now all you have to do is finish the paving to the oven and enjoy, enjoy and enjoy some more.
                            Great work!!!!
                            Will give you a call next time I'm in the area for a pizza!

Neill
                            Last edited by nissanneill; 08-18-2008, 04:06 AM.

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                            Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Working...
                            X