Foundation questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundation questions

I am getting ready to get the foundation in for my upcoming pizza oven. On my last one the ground was all sand so i just cupped the slab with it being 12" deep a foot in all the way around then the rest was 6" deep. Our new house has all clayso i figured i better do a real foundation this time. What i am looking at is i believe we need 54" in this area so would that be a 6" footing then 48" wall then slab? If so has anyone use the styrofoam poor in place forms?i am trying to build it strong but be lazy in the process as i don't really feel comfortable with setting blocks.

What i am wondering is if i over hang the slab over the wall is this going to be a problem? It would not be very much maybe 4" all the way around. Everything would have rebar tied together from wall to footer to slab. Or am i causing a issues by not having straight sides?

If anyone has an idea i would love to hear it.

Randy

Are you in the construction trades, ie electrician? Ask some of your local concrete buddies who deal with your soil conditions regularly.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I am but am currently out of work and don't have access to some of the people I normally would. I guess i should figure out what I need for fo size and work it out to find the right size. Right now I am just trying to get a vision of what I am hoping to do.

Have you been up to mn here lately Utah? Once i get this oven done it would be fun to have you swing by some time when you are in town.

Comment

Well i just got off the phone with the building department and fire inspector and was told i don't need a permit and that i will be far enough from the house. So we are good to go.

Comment

Have not been to MN in a while and looks like we won't be traveling for while. But next time I head to your neighborhood I am let you know and maybe you will be working on WFO2.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Yeah i don't think anyone is going anywhere anytime soon. I hope this stuff blows over fairly soon though. It may be hard trying to get materials if this is still going on. I was looking for calsil board yesterday and short of paying through the nose it was in short supply. Mc Gills wearhouse is out of stock and expects a shipment around the end of April. If it clears all customs and such. I guess that I will have to keep a look out for other options.

For sure let me know if you are going to be in town. It would be fun to meet you and show you what i have got done.

Comment

Randy Very exciting you will be cooking in no time. I did my slab on clay here in the Chicago area. Now we probably don't have as cold of winters as you may but its pretty cold here in the winter. I did not put footings. I know a landscape guy that does those landscape block fireplaces like menards sells and they weigh about 12,000lbs and he just does 6" concrete with 6" stone. So I decided to dig out about 17 to 18" and out grade 7 stone not CA6 i didnt want any fines in the stone just clean grade 7 which is self compacting but I compacted it with a gas compactor i borrowed every 2" of fill. CA6 doesnt drain as good but gets really hard when compacted. Grade 7 has great drainage properties. Here is a link to what I did.

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...​​
              My Build Pictures
              https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Well maybe i will just take the easy way out and do what you did.and do some stone base and a slab on top. I just don't really want to dig that huge of a hole. Plus it would be nice to get things going and not spend a few weeks messing with the foundation. I can see 8 to 10" of stone and 8" of concrete with rebar on 12" centers. Then set the block and core fill all the voids with rebar bent to go over the support slab. That sounds like a lot less work and a lot easier as well.

Comment

Much easier still laboring but I believe it's still beefy...if a slab with 4" of stone and 4" of concrete holds a 150kw generator and never shifts Im sure a slab double the thickness and stone will for sure hold your oven.
                  My Build Pictures

Comment

You would sure hope so. My last oven tipped the scales at around 16k# or something like that. But just getting it nice and solid should do the trick i would like to think. I am sure that i will probably do the 2x8 for form framing so not quite 8" thick but close enough for round numbers.

Comment

I would think so too. At least this time around you know what to expect in the building process. I actually wouldn't mind doing another oven. I enjoyed the actual building of the oven dome. It was cook to see it go from flat to a dome shape and actually not that bad to do. If your able to work on it longer periods a day or put in 8hr days like a normal work day you will finish the dome in s fraction of the time you did before. What are you waiting for start digging for your slab LOL

Ricky
                      My Build Pictures

Comment

I want to but need to finish tearing out about 200sqft of old patio and remove the last bit of the old raised patioand haul it all to the concrete recycling plant that is near by. I have 5 full truck loads out so far just a few left to go.

Comment

Well i may be jumping the gun but i just ordered 100 60# bags of concrete, 54 of 8" x 8" x 16" CMU and 150' of 1/2" rebar. Menards had it all on sale and i saved almost 90$ by buying now. Now i need to start looking for my insulation products and what kind of deal i can find on fire brick. We shall see what i come up with for design for the enclosure i am considering kind of copying splatgirl with her roof line and then doing a similar stone to my last oven. So i need to do a bit of thinking and see what sticks. I suppose I should start a new thread once I get started.

Randy

Comment

I just checked and menards still sells the same stone veneer that i used last time. So this is most likely the outer finish that i plan to do.

Comment

Working...
                            X