No announcement yet.

36" Pompeii in Indiana, US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most every oven has cracks some where. If someone says there build has none then they need to go into politics. None of the pics I see of cracks are major, just consider them beauty marks. As I have preached many times, one extra log on the fire can really spike the temp.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Thanks Russell. Yeah, I was advised. I just failed, lol.

Flue / Chimney Question: I still have time to modify my plans on my chimney. I was planning on using dual 4" clay liners, but the area calculates just under the surface area of a single 6" pipe (25 vs 28 sq inches). Also my understanding of fluid/air dynamics is that they are slowed by surface area and dual 4" pipes would have higher surface area than a single 6" pipe even if square inches was exactly equal. I thought maybe my over-sized flue entry area would make up for this. However, with my first fire yesterday (without any height, so not sure how much that makes difference with draw/draft) I had smoke spilling out beyond my flue to the front of my oven. When the fire was a good flame, nothing spilled out the front, but when everything was smokey and not lit well, that's when stuff spilled out the front. The way I see it I could:
      1. Keep with my plan of dual - 4" clay lined chimney stack which has slightly lower area then recommended and probably more drag from greater surface area on sides vs a single 6"
      2. Hollow out between the 2 4" holes, eliminate the clay pipes and craft a rectangular chimney out of my ample supply of firebrick. I'm leaning in this direction so I don't get smoke stains up the front of my oven. Is there such a thing as too large a chimney? I can cap ans screen it either way. laying with firebrick may actually be easier to be honest.
      Thoughts?

Comment

• Clay liners need insulation on the or the thermal differential will crack them. David S has a video showing this, it in on the blog somewhere.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Thanks, that settles it. I was going to p-crete outside the clay to insulate, but so much less work to just lay up brick and I'm safer. Outside advice from a relative who studied and built fireplaces told me that if my chimney doesn't draft well being too large, I could just make the opening at the top smaller, so I'm going ahead with a larger and rectangular chimney, done up with firebrick! Will give me an opportunity to play with making my own homebrew 3:1:1:1 mix which I haven't used yet because I bought from the store.

Also: Soooo much easier to control temp with charcoal briquettes!!!! Goodness. Future builders: do that!!!! My goal today: keep it about 350 at top of dome: To do this, I've been alternating between briquettes only and throwing a little wood and/or paper on top for a bit of flame as the charcoal alone has been about 300F for me. Also, why waste the heat, lol... put a roast in there with it to slow cook.

Comment

• Made pizza last night followed by some whole wheat bread. My temp was over 850F in oven. After dome cleared, I found one actual cracked brick in oven, 4th course to right of flame in video. I no longer fear for my oven. It is a tank. It seems that was a weak spot because 3 of 4 courses had brick joints line up. Not a big deal. Temp this morning in the oven was 570 at dome, 530 at floor and my highest yet: 460F in my thermowell below both heat bulk floor layers. I don't know exact placement as I put it in after build was done, so time will tell me top temp in that thermowell. I will now give my oven a couple days rest and finish perlite concrete layer. Still a few areas with less than desirable insulation low on the dome, so this will help. If I have time I'll work on roof and chimney also. p.s. a learning curve to make great pizza, but the dough recipe given in forum is really good! And so much good info around here that it went quite well first time.

Comment

• I continue to enjoy progressing on my oven and patio project. Have many additions since last post and have enjoyed many pizza nights with friends and baking days the following day or two. I still have lots of details to finish hopefully this year: Soffit & facia, slate roofing, p-crete back of dome render (with vent), aluminum, insulated hinged half doors, and stone detail around opening to name a few
              If I were to list some of the things I enjoyed the most about this project so far, the list would be very long, but I'll try to name just a few below.
              • designing my own unique build (with tonnes of invaluable advice from everyone here) was a joy
              • making my chimney opening larger than first planned and the flue area large, was a good choice as I rarely get even start of fire smoke roll out and this will keep my exterior looking good
              • I love that I was able to use found materials and materials with other sentimental value like the river stone that I collected with may father. Gives it much more meaning than any extra work put into it
              • Having a larger table with very ample dry storage underneath is pretty great
              • A sink and prep table which drains when sprayed down, lights and outlets and other creature comforts in this space is nice
              Thank you all for your help and encouragement!!!! happy oven-ing!

Comment

Working...
              X