Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plastered
    replied
    Leveled the floor, laid out the first course of half soldiers and mortared them into place, I also mortared a little bit of the front landing to keep those in place. Next up I will build an arch form, get my IT going and start the journey upward.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	978
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	425890 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	971
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	425891
    Last edited by plastered; 07-13-2020, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    You can to protect the CaSi from abrasion while you work. I just used the leftover homebrew as I was laying courses.

Leave a comment:

• plastered
    started a topic 36" Pompeii in St Louis

36" Pompeii in St Louis

Summary:
    I'm 31 yrs old, have never done masonry in my life. I completed this entire build with an 8" angle grinder and a 12" diamond blade on a cheap Ryobi sliding chop saw, which seemed more than sufficient. This thing turned out a million times better and cooler than I could have ever possibly imagined.

Build time: 13 Jun 2020 - 10 Oct 2020
    Spent most weekends from June through July building (alone). Took several days off work too, to build. By mid August I was able to use the oven (perfect timing for fall), and the rest of the time was spent on finishing materials. Finishing took me 2 months due to figuring out what to get and laziness, but overall it only took about 2-3 additional "light" weekends of work to finish.

Build cost: ~$4000
    I have a spreadsheet where I tracked everything that I may post here someday (PM me if you want to see it). About $400 was spent on tools I didn't have. In summary though the costs were:
    -Foundation and block stand: 700
    -Hearth: 540
    -Floor, Dome, Chimney: 1360
    -Finishing (brick façade, counter): 815
    -Door: 112
    Other fun facts: Bricks were 1.75/brick (used a little less than 180 fire bricks), Refractory mortar 95/bag (4 bags), CaSi blanket and board ~540

Timelapse of my build

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finally posting the progress of my build. Drilled some weep holes, put down some old tile i found in my basement from previous owners (and some screen I found to keep the bugs out), cut the two layers of CaSi board, and started cutting the keyhole shape for the floor an landing.

Tomorrow I plan to mix up the sand mixture for under the floor.

The only question I have this second, is should I coat the outside of my CaSi with some mortar? Should it be the high temp mortar? I'm mainly looking to 'protect' it I guess since it seems exposed right now, and will be until the dome is done. I remember seeing people coat a ring around it as they start mortaring their first course in place.

Critiques are welcome, and any other advice as always!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by plastered; 12-13-2020, 01:49 PM.
Working...
X