Dome External Layer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome External Layer

Hi to all! I have been building my Pompeii style brick oven in the last few weeks and have been doing pretty good so far with information. One thing I’m still not certain about is the final dome layer. I have the brick dome done and on top of it 3” layer of ceramic blanket and on top of that chicken wire. What do I do now? What do I use as the final layer on top of the dome? Do I use some special mix of concrete? Do I use vermiculite? Stucco? Anything else I need to make sure I do on that layer? Thanks in advance to all answers!

I think the general consensus (and I’m by no way an expert having only just started my final layer aswell) is to use a 3” blanket followed by a 1” layer or Vermiculite or Perlite in a 10-1 mix to add to the insulation making it 4” in total. Then you can start your curing fires to drive out the excess water before waterproofing.

I am going with an igloo finish so will use stucco as a render coat but others choose to build a frame around theirs.

Comment

A 1" layer of 10 to 1 is difficult to apply due to the relative thinness of the vcrete but you can try and see if works for you.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by GadiNehemne View Post
        Hi to all! I have been building my Pompeii style brick oven in the last few weeks and have been doing pretty good so far with information. One thing I’m still not certain about is the final dome layer. I have the brick dome done and on top of it 3” layer of ceramic blanket and on top of that chicken wire. What do I do now? What do I use as the final layer on top of the dome? Do I use some special mix of concrete? Do I use vermiculite? Stucco? Anything else I need to make sure I do on that layer? Thanks in advance to all answers!
        The surface of the blanket will be a little lumpy and difficult to render against. A layer of vermicrete will restore the hemispherical form and set up firm enough to render the final outer shell against. Because you have plenty of blanket layers and therefore not relying on the vermicrete as much as an insulating layer the vermicrete can be made richer, say 7:1 with some powdered clay and or lime also added to help workability. Suggest you start at the bottom and just do about 6” high, let it set 24 hrs and see how it sets for strength before proceeding. You will then be able to shave it back or fill a bit if required.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X