Hearth Forward Tilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearth Forward Tilt

What percent incline have people been using for a forward tilt in the non-insulating hearth? (to encourage water to flow out the front of the oven)

michael
    Last edited by Michael Thomas; 09-08-2020, 11:07 AM.

Quite a lot on this one I built a few years ago!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	5912E28E-0E76-4BB1-8B33-A51EFC4473FE.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	585.7 KB
ID:	429817

Comment

Originally posted by fox View Post
      Quite a lot on this one I built a few years ago!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	5912E28E-0E76-4BB1-8B33-A51EFC4473FE.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	585.7 KB
ID:	429817
      thanks for the quick reply. I see there is a ramp that enters the oven and it looks like that is tilted. Is your hearth also tilted?

Comment

Sorry, yes the outer ring slopes outward around 10mm and the area below the chimney has a steep slope to try and stop any rain water ingress that might get blown in or come down the chimney.
        i build the hearth level and slope whatever finish I use away from the dome. Obviously you dont want your wine glass sliding off but even a slight fall will be a bog help.

Comment

Sorry, yes the outer ring slopes outward around 10mm and the area below the chimney has a steep slope to try and stop any rain water ingress that might get blown in or come down the chimney.
          i build the hearth level and slope whatever finish I use away from the dome. Obviously you dont want your wine glass sliding off but even a slight fall will be a bog help.
          Have you found any evidence of water causing issues for this oven? (did any post in particular encourage you to create these slopes?)

Comment

Well i plastered the oven with fibre mix cement ( plastic fibres, one part cement two parts sand) that sets like sheet metal so no water can get in the oven, however i live on a very humid island so i have to build my ovens like this .
            I have built 6 ovens all pretty much the same design and a few others with total enclosures so I have leant along the way.

Comment

Well i plastered the oven with fibre mix cement ( plastic fibres, one part cement two parts sand) that sets like sheet metal so no water can get in the oven, however i live on a very humid island so i have to build my ovens like this .
              I have built 6 ovens all pretty much the same design and a few others with total enclosures so I have leant along the way.
              awesome - not sure if you noticed but in reading my message I see that I might have mistakenly questioned your methods! eeek! I was more or less trying to find an original source for the whole slant thing since I'm trying to get some solid foundation (so to speak) in doing this with my oven. Thanks a lot for your guidance here! much appreciated. I haven't see that solution to water entry, thats pretty clever.

Comment

Well the slopping entry is a compromise as that area is also a great space to have for keeping food warm etc but it works for me and my location.

Comment

Working...
                X