Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pizza Oven Cast Refractory and Gas

Hi folks

I am in the planning phase of build a new outdoor oven Pompeii style.

The last one I built at the link below was pretty well built with insulation board below and blanket above as well as more vermiculite/cement insulation above. I used half bricks for the dome. It's still in operation here at my home. I do find it takes a bit to heat up and doesn't retain heat as well as I had expected given it's it's mass and insulation properties. Not sure why. I hear some folks say their oven is still very hot the next morning and while mine may be hot, it's really just warm. Not hot enough that I could do anything with it.

So I am planning on building one at my lake property and wanted to have a go at casting the dome and using gas as an option for firing it.

First on the casting part, I see many use vermiculite or perlite in the mix but I do believe that would be more of an insulation property rather than heat mass. So am I correct that I would use a recipe such as this without perlite/vermiculite?:

3 parts sand, 1 part portland cement, 1 part hydrated lime, and 1 part fireclay, and use stainless needles (melt extract fibres)?

On this topic, I have seen posts where they say to use Masonry Cement vs Portland as Portland breaks down quicker with heat. I don't think it called for lime in that mix, perhaps because masonry cement has lime in it?

On the gas side of the equation I am considering something like one of these:

I have seen some oven burners by manufacturers but they are way out of my price range.

Thanks

My Last Oven Build
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...n-build?t=4678
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 10-04-2020, 08:13 AM. Reason: Removed direct commercial links
    Check out my build at:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...uild-4678.html
Working...
X