Les' Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Les' Build

Well, if I'm grilling, I don't care if the whole oven's hot. I wouldn't even use the oven for it at all if I had a separate grill thingy built. I do heat the coals up in the landing, so the walls and the roof do get pretty hot. To be honest, I'm too short to successfully use the grill in the oven much further. I can move pizzas, etc. because the peels have long handles, but I find that using the grill too far in is not easy for me. I burn my arms on the walls, etc.

I've done plenty of roasting, etc. in the oven with fire, but it's all sitting on the floor. Something about the angle I end up with using the grill all the way in doesn't work for me.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

You are all making me very hungry

Regards
      Joe

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
        No benefit to heating the oven up all the way first? Otherwise, how's it different than a grate over an open fire?
        Good question Mike. The benefit I see is that the mess is totally contained. To cook a couple of steaks takes way less fuel then getting the whole dome up to temp, and a lot less time. And they did taste great, I'll do it again.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I second Mark... And to expand to answer some of the questions... I basically build a regular pizza fire. I shove the wood to the back AFTER the dome clears so I have flames running up the dome and rake the coals out to the front and put the grate on top of the coals. Let it sit a few minutes to get really hot. Then the steak goes on. The temp is probably in the 1050 to 1150 range and the steak cooks FAST. And the flavor is exceptional. About the only way I will do steaks now.

Some suggestions. Use good steaks. The quick cooking will not improve mediocre steaks! And rubbing with olive oil and sprinkling with a good rub are a good idea. And relatively thin steaks are good. Avoid Tuscan style T-bones that can be several inches thick. The interior will never even warm up before the outside is burned.

Salud!
          Jay

Comment

You see this - THERE WAS TWICE AS MUCH! I ran to the store to buy more flour for hot dog buns - I get back and the dog ate this amount, in less then 5minutes (I was a little pissed)

I'm trying to get better at this baking thing - apparently my dog likes my cooking

Les...

Comment

Les,

Your pictures made me hungry to try wood-fired hot dog buns. Could you post the recipe for us?
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Good job Les, glad to see you are giving it a try - which I can't say myself. 2 1/2 yrs and I still have not baked anything. Stupid, yes........the one aspect of cooking that scares me (there is no "fudge factor"), bread is usually really good or really bad; my efforts in an indoor oven have always been really bad.

Glad to see you broadening your horizon.....post more pics as you progress

RT

Comment

Ken - I found the receipt on the web and it was a disaster. The dough couldn't have risen more then 5%. I ended up with thick bread sticks I just tried some standard white bread mix and it's a little better. I think the ticket is to use some pans for shaping. As the dough rises it tends to flatten out. It would probably work well for hamburger buns.

RT - Give it a shot. If you fail, blame it on heat management. It's amazing how fast you can cook breads. When the receipt calls for a cook time of 30 -35 minutes, I haven't had anything in there longer then 15.

Les...

Comment

OK - this worked - kept the bitch from eating today's work My daughter gave me some starter for San Fancisco sourbread - it taste great! The two buns on the left are my second attempt at hotdog buns. I need improvement.

Les...

Comment

Les
                      You're doing good! For things like buns...pans are very important...or you can pack them tight on a sheet pan...if you don't do either of those things they definitely proof outward instead of upward...jumbo muffin pan will help if you do hamburger buns...look for a recipe for "pain de mie" unfortunately I don't have one offhand but I will see if I can find one in our resources...if you use a bun pan for the hotdog buns you get more the chicago style bun and I would suggest a bit of eggwash and some poppy seeds...if you pack them close on a sheet pan you should get results more like wonder(sorry to have to mention the name on the forum) flat on the bottom rounded top and have to bread them apart...anyway good luck and keep it up...
                      RT Give it a try...lots of experienced helpers here...
                      Best
                      Dutch
                      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

It was a good day - I am technically done rising children (if that is possible). My son graduated today - now we just wait to see what law school he will (might?) get accepted into. Both children are now officially off the daddy plan

Probably not the best place to post this but my daughter's pic is buried in this thread as well.

Les...

Comment

Les,
                          Congratulations, I still have one at home and 2 successufully launched ( the one still at home comes in handy for the hard work part of the oven build, though he was absent today when I needed to move 30 bags of concrete from the front to the back yard).
                          Soon you will be feeding grandchildren great pizza.

Eric

Comment

Had a pretty big party tonight - made 20 balls. There are so many people out there that don't have a clue as to how awesome our ovens are! When you slide in their design, and give it back to them in less then 2.5 minutes, they are truly surprised. It was a good night - and it's amazing how much wine was left. I have never posted a pic of something from the WFO - here is the first. 9 ounce ball (learned that from the FB open house). It's a perfect size.

Les...:

Comment

Looks yummy! Wow, your dome interior looks so clean even while cooking! Did you use non-stick firebrick? Hehehe If I was there, there wouldn't be much wine left hahaha.
                              sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                              WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
                              Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Les, how many people did you feed? We are having a birthday party for my mom today, think we will have 30. I made 18 balls last night and thought I would make one more batch this morning. I tripled the FB recipe. This will be our first party. I'm a little nervous, but I think it will go well.

Tom
                                Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Working...
                                X