Heatbreak worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heatbreak worth it?

I've just about closed the dome on my oven and now I'm moving on to the front. I'm deciding if a heatbreak is worth it in my case. Unfortunately I've built the oven in a way where I cannot add a heatbreak to the floor (can't remove bricks to make cuts), however, I can still add one between the inner arch and the start of the gallery. Does it make sense to add a heatbreak here, even though there wont be one at the floor? Adding some pics so you can check out the build so far.
    Attached Files

A heavy high thermal mass sitting in front of the dome can act as a heat sink, drawing stored heat from the heavily insulated dome. either a lower thermal mass gallery or an insulated gap to reduce heat loss by conduction go some way to reducing this effect. A small insulated gap however. will do little to prevent heat travel by radiation. My feeling is that the gap more importantly provides an expansion joint which allows the hotter dome to expand without creating pressure on the gallery, often resulting in cracks on the outer decorative arch. In my design I use a low thermal mass cast gallery with an insulating gap between it and the outer decorative arch.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Adding a thermal break is quite easy to do and not expensive. I always like to use them if you are concerned w/preserving stored heat. If not, they can be left out. However, as was stated, they serve another valuable service as an expansion/control joint, so it's really up to you. Personally, I like to use them and recommend them. My preferred method is using ceramic fiber tape.
      Attached Files
      My Build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Working...
      X