smallest oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smallest oven

what is the smallest oven that could be constructed, i live in a apartment here in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and i have a outside area i was thinking about something very small.... the building has a vent system, cause all of the floors have barbecues so i could hook up the Chimney system there... any ideas ??

Re: smallest oven

There are very tiny ovens. Here's an 18 incher from Superior Clay

It's made of five pairs of standard firebricks, a section of 12" square flue tile, and a refractory clay hat.

What use this small an oven would be is another question. Pizza is most likely out of the question: There is no room for a pizza and a fire at the same time. Retained heat baking? The mass may be too small to retain much heat. One of the problems with tiny ovens is that the opening is large in relation to the dome, and that effects the thermal characteristics.

I have a 36 inch oven, and that seems to be about the smallest practical size for pizza.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

i want it for pizza.... iam trying to have ideas , i was thinking in transforming the barbecue in to something like a 2stone.... i take some pictures and show you guys...

thanks !

Comment

My oven is very small (21"), but works fine. With careful management of fire, ie. remove some coals and maintain a fire on the side, you can cook lots of pizza. The advantages of a small oven are that there are less materials used which means less weight, easier and faster to build and also cheaper.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

This is a great topic. I am softening on my earlier position -- which was that you really need to start at 30in.

If you have the space (and time and budget) I still think 30 inches is a good starting point -- but if you don't, a smaller oven is a lot (whole lot) better than no oven. There are a lot of folks out there who would enjoy a 26" (or smaller) oven and can't find the space (or commitment) for a 30" one.

Do our members with smaller ovens have input on the differences between 21" and 26" inches? I've owned a 26" oven, and have to say that 30" is better.

My thinking is that this logic would extend to smaller ovens -- where a 26" oven is better than 21" or 22". Those extra inches matter when you are cooking -- if you can work them into your design and space. Build as much as you can.

Still, if space and other things are tight -- David likes his 21" oven. There's one vote. :-)

What do our owners of smaller ovens think? Good thread.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

A small oven also consumes less wood and you also tend to use it more often. We use ours about once a week. However, I do agree that a bigger oven would be better and more efficient, but how much bread do you want to bake for your family ?
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I like my 42 but at times I wish it was smaller.
              For quicker firing, less wood, etc.

But at Thanksgiving - I threw in a turkey, a ham, 2 dozen rolls, stuffing, and acorn squash all INSIDE at the same time. And I can smoke a brisket anytime! Or 4 or 5 briskets...

So maybe I'll build a small one too! for those quick firings and quick pizza!
              My thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
              My costs:
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
              My pics:
              http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

thanks guys for all the input.... ill take a picture tomorrow morning and post it...

hope the tread goes on !!!

Comment

Have you thought of going in with some of your neighbors for a neighborhood, bigger oven? You would have to coordinate the times it could be used. Anyway, I am trying to think of a way for you to justify a bigger oven.

Comment

I have always like the idea of community ovens. I know of a few of them out there.

James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,
                      I agree the idea of a community oven is great. My 40 inch oven means I will have extra space and could bake far more bread than we can consume. I've had several of inquiries from neighbors on island who are asking if there would be space in my oven if they dropped by with a loaf or two. Just how many are serious only time will tell. Thanks to the internet it would be easy to post when I planned to fire and so people could have some proper lead time and approximate time of loading the oven.

We have an "island net" where locals post news, stuff for sale and generally gossip. I have two who I expect will be "regulars" one with an extensive bread making and related subjects library (who has given me free access to same) and the second, interestingly, is my next door neighbor with the cob oven.

Wiley

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for the replys, we are trying to coordinate a gourmet space in the condo. i think its best to wait, and try for a bigger oven !! in the mean while ill continue baking in home oven on a stone, and will try to adapted something on the barbecue (something like a 2stone oven)...

thanks again !!

Comment

I completely agree with James. Any oven is better than no oven. Do what you can and make it work.

J W

Comment

Mine is 29" and its ok for pizza - enough space for a fire to one side and to do lots of pizza too

Just needs a door now !!

Peter

Comment

My oven will be approx 30" when it's done. I feel pretty comfortable with that size from my own entertaining experience. I have a Large Big Green Egg. It is a ceramic (kamodo style) cooker that is shaped like an egg and green in color. (Go figure!) Anyway the cooking grate on it is 18" in diameter. I can cook one pizza at a time. (14" round or 14" x 16" rectangle). They take between 8-12 minutes to cook. I've entertained for 15-20 people and made 5 - 6 pizza's one at time with no problems. I figure if I can get 2 pizza's at a time, I'm twice as far ahead. If only one, I'll enjoy the interaction I have while I'm cooking.

Comment

Working...
                              X