X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney gallery from blue bricks?

Evening all.
    a very quick question.
    my main dome is complete along with the arch into the dome. I’m now ready to start constructing the flue gallery and outter arch/ entrance.
    my main dome is fire bricks that will be insulated, rendered and then possibly tiles.
    Is there any reason why I can’t or you would advise against using an engineering blue bricks to create the gallery and entrance? Or should it really be done from fire bricks and insulated by the rest of the oven?
    thanks.
    Ian.

The flue gallery does not get enough heat on it to warrant fire brick IMO. Usually the flame will be contained in the dome with just a little flame licking into the gallery. I think the engineering bricks are an adequate solution there. The part of the oven that takes the greatest beating is the floor, so firebricks should be used there. The next is the crown of the dome where many builders have reported good longevity with solid red bricks. Don't take that as gospel because the composition and suitability of bricks designed for building houses, varies considerably, so their suitability for oven service temperatures cannot be guaranteed
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
    X