If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
I lived in Suwon for a year, so 'hello', yoboseyo!
Outer arch and thermal break: I start my fires in the landing tunnel, directly under the vent opening. As the fire progresses I push the fire back into the dome. During the initial fire, my vent tunnel gets direct flame and sees somewhat high temperatures, so my entire tunnel, including the outer arch, is made from firebrick. I used 1/2" ceramic fiber rope to fill the gap between the dome brick and the landing tunnel brick. Years ago I used a temp gun to shoot temperatures and slight thermal and structural break, plus the change in brick pattern on the floor (herringbone in the oven, running bond in the tunnel) indicated that the system worked. I have good quite good heat retention in the oven. Insulation, I have 4" of board under the floor and 4" of blanket over the dome.
Chinmney transition: I used 12 regular sized firebricks to make the transition from the curved top of the vent arch to the chimney anchor plate. My chimney is a two-walled stainless steel flue pipe, open to free air and not surrounded by brick. It draws well year-round and with the lighter weight the arch did not require buttressing.
For a 900mm or ~30" diameter oven, I'd think a 6" inside diameter chimney pipe and anchor plate would size up better than an 8" pipe. Others will correct if I'm mistaken. I simply flared the underside of the bricks at the vent, my chimney draws quite nicely. After years of fires I have no soot stains on the face of my oven.
Can't help with local sourcing. Good luck with the build, and welcome to the forum!
Going to document my build here, and perhaps get some advice while I'm at it.
My project is an outdoor kitchen with a pizza oven and a fireplace BBQ. For now I'm going to focus on completing the pizza oven.
Specs
900mm ID
Dome: Tapered Firebrick 115*230*75/63 (cut in half)
Dome insulation: 3 layers of 25mm blanket
Floor: Firebrick 115*230*75
Floor insulation: 3 layers of 25mm CaSi board
Design Notes
Feedback appreciated on these - these are my ideas and aren't a part of any guide
Low(ish) dome
To "cheat" and lower the dome while still using my IT, I'm just going to build the floor into the dome rather than under it. That makes the inner height 450-75=375mm
In the spirit of a small oven, this is intended to reduce the volume enough to make it heat a bit more efficiently
Heat Break using insulating brick
I want to put solid insulating material for the heat break. That way the break and vent arch can be the flue (see pic 3). My idea is 25mm insulating brick.
Other ways I've considered are fill the gap with blanket and seal it with vermicrete; or inject high-temp silicone
Other Questions
What should I make the chimney from? Pic 2 shows a 25mm firebrick construction. I can also make it from castable.
Does the outer arch have to be made with firebrick?
What should the vent hole dimensions be?
Anywhere in Australia I can buy an 8" chimney anchor plate?
Anywhere in Australia I can buy a metal pizza oven door? If I can buy one I'll plan my vent opening around it. Otherwise, can I make one out of wood?
Leave a comment: