Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The question of fire clay.

Hello to the forum,

I'm new on this forum, but have been snooping around for a while. There are some amazing projects going on here and they are all very inspiring.

For the last month or so, I've been making my Pompeii oven - shooting for a 36" floor space, and am just about to begin the dome. (I'll post pictures later once things have settled down)
    Here's the question: I bought three 50 pound bags of what the local brickyard swore was fire clay; it says Powdered Clay on the bags. Does it sound right? I would hate for it to crack apart since I fear I would crack apart if that happened...
    Also, there is no way I can get Fire Cement, so I'll have to mix my own. Is there a recipe that is reliable for this?

Thanks for any replies.

H. Larsen

Re: The question of fire clay.

H.
    Most likely the clay you have will be fine...see if you can check the manufacturer of the product out online. What it is supposed to be is a material similar to what the firebricks are made of. As for the fire cement you are not alone. Calcium aluminate cement is hard to come by, there is however a reliable portland cement recipe of 1-3-1-1(portland cement-sharp sand-hydrated lime-fireclay)...some even leave out the hydrated lime and in Frances' case she used only fireclay and sand as mortar in her dome. I would recommend refmix as a refractory mortar available through Forno Bravo if you had not already considered it.
    All the best to you and welcome to the forum!
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I dont know the situation in the U.S and A, but we sell calc. aluminate cement with a product named " ciment fondue " it was made by Lafarge, but down here it is now made by Kerneos.

Comment

Dutch,

Thanks for that. I guess I'll get a start on the dome this week.

Henrik Larsen

Comment

Henrik-
          I had the same problem with Fire Clay. Local brick yard called said it was Fire Clay, but the bag said Mortar Clay. Did some research and found out it was the same thing. Like tomato and tomahhto. The Mortar Clay bag I bought calls for a mixture of 6 parts sand, 2 parts cement, and 1 part fireclay. I'm on the 3rd course now, and have one arch up- seems to be holding together.
          Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

See ALL of my pictures here:
          http://picasaweb.google.com/Brevenc/...OutdoorKitchen

Comment

Working...
          X