Insulation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation Question

Well Tomorrow I hope to complete my chimney....Get the walls completed on my oven so I will be ready to insulate. Then next week I have hired a carpenter to put on my roof.

A couple of questions.

1. I was planning to just fill the cavity with at least 6 inches of loose perlite. Does anybody think that will suffice?

2. No blanket or do people feel strongly regarding the blanket? Or no worries with the perlite?

Thanks GT.
    Oven Progress.

Picasa Web Albums - George - George T's Pi...
    Thanks,

GT

For all pictures of oven build click address.http://picasaweb.google.com/ghtaylo/GeorgeTSPizzaOven

Re: Insulation Question

Hi George,
    Filling your framework with loose perlite (of vermiculite equivalent) is a little wasted as the increased thickness will do little extra in insulation. You will need a lot of 'unused' or 'no value' insulation betwwen your walls and that perlite that is actuall insulating your oven. Also, I feel that it may ove time 'settle' and reduce the amount of insulation over your dome top.
    The thermal blanket, although more expensive is a much better insulator per inch than loose perlite or vermiculite.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I would at least go with a 1" blanket then your loose fill perlite. I'm with Neill on this this one - over time there may be a bit of settling (hot /cold spots), having at least a minimal (1") blanket in direct contact with the dome will give you considerably more even heat retention in the dome. If money is not an object - 2 layers of 2" blanket is ideal...and you can throw the perlite in for good measure. I'm sure you are aware of the FB mantra - insulate, INSULATE, [B]INSULATE!!!

RT

Comment

Hi George

I just want to say this is a beautiful project. I just love how the entire family is into it. What are you planning for counter space?

--mr.jim
        --mr.jim
        ---------------------------------------------------------------
        The real art of conversation is not only to say the correct thing at the right time, but also to leave
        unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I used the blanket under perlite concrete, but if you have lots of room, there's no reason why loose fill won't work by it's self. You may want to block off the corners with cement board on an angle to cut off the amount of not-needed insulation in your cavity.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks all. I am wondering if anyone has just done the loose insulation? Is their oven seeing performance that is not as good as those with the blanket?

My biggest challenge is just timing. If I order the blanket I am going to lose my carpenter......has some other work. Once this baby gets closed up my options are limited.

Mr. Jim. Thanks. regarding Counterspace we have a large patio and will likely keep an extra table near by that will be used for preping the food. Not elegant. It has been a great project for the family. My daughter, who is not pictured has done alot of material runs.
            Last edited by George T; 07-12-2008, 05:12 PM. Reason: grammer problem
            Thanks,

GT

For all pictures of oven build click address.http://picasaweb.google.com/ghtaylo/GeorgeTSPizzaOven

Comment

Adding water and cement to your insulation mix will reduce the insulation value so loose is an advantage and reduces labour. I don't use ceramic fibre blanket because the stuff is a class 2 carcinogen and I'm hoping to reach at least 90 if I can.6 inches of insulation sounds plenty.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
              X