X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• christo
    replied
    Re: How to minimize smoke on Facade

8x8 tile and over 4 feet of flue - that thing oughta draw well.

Does it smoke out the front with a moderate fire or just big ones?

Christo

Leave a comment:

• tdibratt
    replied

Here's the whole oven photo. Actually is mor elike 4 ft to the top of the clay flue pipe.

Thx

Leave a comment:

• tdibratt
    replied

I'd say about 3 1/2 feet tall. I think it was 8 inch flue.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

A taller chimney almost always means better draw. How tall was the chimney on your smoke stained oven?

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Things I did to try to eliminate it on my oven:

cut corners on the bricks between the dome and the entryway - this makes it easier for the smoke to roll around and up vs continue to travel in the horizontal directions. I also rounded the corners on the bricks that transistioned into my chimney tiles - every where I wanted smoke to route had a transistion cut on it.

I put in a reasonably long and large diameter flue tile - 8x16 to 8x8 transistion plus 3 ft of 8x8 tile. There is a calculator on the site that lets you see how much flow you are likely to encourage - still gathering data but it looks like we have some reasonable guidelines.

I also made my decorative exterior arch about an inch lower than the arch that comprises the vent. With the vent and the rounded transisitons I still had a bit of smoke on the arch - When I put my decorative arch I made it lower so I could install oven lights in the arch and conceal them and the wires. Turns out that was the final thing I needed to stop the smoke.

Good luck

Christo

Leave a comment:

• tdibratt
    started a topic How to minimize smoke on Facade

How to minimize smoke on Facade

I just started the build of my new oven. Poured the concrete pad this past weekend. Starting to think ahead a bit and have a question regarding the vent area and smoke stack. My last oven show a lot of smoke buildup on the facade. I built it with a angle iron over the entry firebricks providing a lintel. The outer facade is arched and the peak of the arch is higher than the dome entrance lintel. I am wondering if this is why I get smoke that dodes not go up the chimney and exits the front of the oven onto the facade.

Any suggestions?

Thx, Tony.
Working...
X