Using Kaowool Blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Kaowool Blanket

Hi everyone! We are very close to finishing the final rows of our dome. Yesterday, I finished the two rows over the arch in an attempt to get the dome back into a round shape. It was tedious!! Anyway, we are now comtemplating the best way to use the kaowool blanket we have and what amount of cladding we will need on the dome. The kaowool is 1" thick and we have several 12' x 24" pieces to use for insulation. What kind of material can anyone suggest to use for cladding? how much do we need with that much kaowool insulation? How should we apply the blankets? We are open to any and all suggestions!!! Thanks in advance to everyone, I can't imagine how we would struggle if we didn't have this forum!

Carolyn and Jerry's oven progress:Picasa Web Albums - carolyn - wood fired oven

Re: Using Kaowool Blanket

I used bailing wire to hold my blankets in place. If you have enough pieces of blanket to get you to 3+ inches - I don't think you need to go the vermiculite cladding route, just straight to your finish. Are you going to build an enclosure or igloo?

Les...
    Last edited by Les; 08-05-2008, 01:57 PM. Reason: sp
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hi Les, thanks for your response....
      yes, we are planning on building a complete enclosure. The finished project should resemble an old well house-style building. Stone, brick with a slate roof. We thought we had to coat the outside of the dome with heatstop.
      We bought an extra bag just for that. Thanks again for your advice!
      Carolyn

Comment

I would fill the enclosure with loose vermiculite for grins. It's fairly cheap and very little work would be required. You could get the R value WAY up there.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Great timing! I just finished applying my kaowool to my dome. Attached are some pictures. Seems the question I had has been answered by Les (thanks Les!) I have four to five inches over the top of my dome and minimum three inches everywhere else.

I used a length of junk kevlar measuring tape to tie the kaowool in place. Kevlar is not only used in bullet/knife proof vests but it is good to 1000F. I got mine for free from a survey crew as junk because the end had become damaged. It's easy to tie and one can leave it in place without any rusting etc.

I purchased my kaowool from Boeing Surplus (those in the Seattle and Pacific Northwest are perhaps familiar with the now defunct outlet for surplus materials from the aircraft manufacturer). It was extemely inexpensive, I paid $50 for a roll of 1" x48 x25 ft. years ago.

Wiley

Comment

thanks for the advice. I was really happy to see the links to other previous discussions about the same topic at the bottom of the page here. The wealth of information is unbelievable!

Comment

I used vermiculite concrete like what I have in the insulated layer of the stand to clad with. I wrapped the blanket with chicken wire then smeared in the vermiculite concrete to the tune of about 1-2 inches...I also have loose fill in my enclosure. The more insulation the better!
              Steve Kennemer
              Austin, TX

Comment

Working...
              X