Upstate NY build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upstate NY build

Last month I started my build and have finally had time to upload the pictures. I am only there on the weekends so progress is a little slower than if I could work on it full time.

So far have not hit any major snags - other than everything takes longer than you plan for. I have posted a link to the pix , please let me know if any one sees any glaring problems.

I have little gaps between my bricks in the dome , but dont know if it will be a problem.

Melanie Wesslock : photos : Pizza Oven!- powered by SmugMug

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by wesslock; 08-15-2008, 08:09 AM. Reason: new link to pix

Re: Upstate NY build

Looks like you guys have a great start.

One thing to watch out for: Try not to let the vertical seams line up from one course to the next. I had to cut a few narrow bricks on each course to keep them from lining up. You'll get a stronger dome with less cracking.

Don't worry about little gaps. Just fill them with mortar.

Keep up the great work!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

The build looks perfect so far, and what lovely photos! It will be a pleasure watching the rest of your project progress.
      Nikki

Comment

Just love the look of a red brick dome - are those regular ones or fire brick?

Its coming along really well!
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Ken - I was stubborn and wanted to use my bricks that I had already cut , instead of trimming them. Wont do that again..

Mod - thanks, my wife is a photographer, unfort her pix are going to show the flaws , sometimes blurry is better.

finally - they are fire bricks, have no idea why they are red. But thats what they had.

thanks for the kind words.

Comment

Originally posted by wesslock View Post
            Ken - I was stubborn and wanted to use my bricks that I had already cut , instead of trimming them. Wont do that again..
            Been there... I know the feeling!
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by wesslock View Post
              everything takes longer than you plan for.
              Ain't that the truth!! How many times has my wife said that?

Your pictures aren't loading for me, but I'll try again tomorrow. Anxious to see them.
              Picasa web album
              Oven-building thread

Comment

I like the red color - progress looks excellente = I smell pizza!!!

Cutting bricks is so much fun - I can't imagine not making 2 or 3 cuts on each brick....

Ditto the taking longer part - takes even longer after it starts making pizzas - I'm still doing final finishing on mine... (actually not finished mine...)

Christo
                My oven progress -
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                sigpic

Comment

Why are you not building a stop for your door? I think it's a very important step for ease of (door) use and baking breads etc. or just to seal the heat inside the oven for a longer period (next morning breakfast bake, etc.) You are off to a great start. Best of luck on your build!
                  Rick
                  View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

I forgot to leave a reveal for a door stop. Once I started cutting the bricks for the entry I started focusing on having a smoothe transitions to the dome. When I was finished with the fourth row I realized that i didnt leve a stop. Now I dont know how to correct it unless I add a small column of brick to create a stop. Maybe a 1/2" x 1/2" or something like that

What do you think about that ?

Comment

I looked at the photo of your oven entry and I would suggest knocking out the smaller bricks where the stop should be and replacing them with larger ones to create a solid stop. then fill in the remaining (in between) parts with smaller pieces. That way you will at least have some support. I don't think just making an entire 1/2 inch stop would stick to the solid brick too long. I hope explanation makes some sense to you!
                      Rick
                      View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Working...
                      X