Help! Trying to make the best of a bad situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help! Trying to make the best of a bad situation

It's a good looking oven at least! Looks like he put his effort into the finish work, rather than the functionality of it.

It also looks like many of the dome layers have long vertical joints running up the dome, rather than staggering. I'd be worried about cracking. (as if you need something more to worry about!) Has it been used much at high temps?
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

Hey Sam,
      Call up Blair Building Supply in Maple Or Masons Masonry Supply in Richmond Hill.
      I believe that they carry a thinner fire brick, possibly 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" thick.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
        It's a good looking oven at least! Looks like he put his effort into the finish work, rather than the functionality of it.

It also looks like many of the dome layers have long vertical joints running up the dome, rather than staggering. I'd be worried about cracking. (as if you need something more to worry about!) Has it been used much at high temps?

It hasn't reached high temps just yet. I figure a few more days of increased heat and by Tuesday I want to truly test it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio D. View Post
          Hey Sam,
          Call up Blair Building Supply in Maple Or Masons Masonry Supply in Richmond Hill.
          I believe that they carry a thinner fire brick, possibly 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" thick.

Tony
          Will the thinner fire brick work? I was thinking the 2" of brick would be minimum. Also, I wonder if the 1" of extra height at the door opening would make that much of a difference.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

Splits for the floor? I don't know. I would worry that it wouldn't have enough thermal mass to hold heat to cook the bottom of the pizza.

Beautiful job, by the way. The reduced door height might slow you down for turkey cooking, but it should be high enough for most WFO tasks.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I think that splits would be ok for pizza as they would warm up faster and that there is a fire in the oven to keep the heat up. you may not have enough thermal mass for baking bread.

Tony

Comment

Working...
              X