ash slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ash slot

the plans do not call for an ash slot, as the alan scott plans do. i know the pompeii oven is mostly used as a live fire oven, so ashes stay in the oven, and can be removed when cool, but this oven will work great for bread, where hot ash needs to be removed.

i see no reason why an ash slot cannot be added - please let me know if i am missing something.

to make it, i plan to block off a section of the framing, and pour the slab around it,so once removed, a hole will be left, forming the ash slot.

any advice / guidance along these lines?

thanks!

Re: ash slot

There are quite of few postings on the ash slot -- both for and against. :-) If you search they will come up. There is nothing to keep you from adding the ash slot to a Pompeii Oven -- which are often used with only retained heat.

If you are using insulating board (such as FB Board) rather than vermiculite concrete for under oven insulation, you will want to seal the board as it faces into the ash slot. You do not want ceramic fiber insulation exposed to the inside of your oven -- or anywhere else for that matter.

If you use vermiculite concrete, then you can just leave that layer exposed.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: ash slot

Don't put the hole dead center - you need that workspace. It's logical to put it on the side that you're going to be building your fire. You can also set in a fireplace ash door, so you won't be loosing stuff down the hole. They are substantial cast iron, so it should hold up.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
      X