Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing between stucco and flue pipe

G"day all has anyone got a idea what to use to seal out the rain from the
    gap between stucco and flue pipe .I think it will need some sort of high temp silicone or some thing? any ideas
    thanks Peter

Re: Sealing between stucco and flue pipe

I used a high temp silicone sealant I purchased from an auto parts store. The stuff I used claims to be able to withstand up to 700 degrees F. The exact product I used is made by Permatex for Napa and is called "Ultra Copper High Temp RTV Silicone" and has a part number 765-1135. That's a 3 oz tube although it is available in 10 oz regular caulking gun type tubes. It is a red copper color.
    Wiley

Comment

Thanks Wiley ive seen this stuff at the auto parts place here in melbourne.

Cheers Peter

Comment

In Australia try sikafirate or thermoseal. This is a problem area where flue meets outer shell. I made a terracotta collar to go around the outershell that has a gap of about 8mm between it and the flue pipe. A tighter fitting cap also in terracotta sits over this collar and I sealed between it and the flue pipe with thermoseal. this setup keeps out all weather but the terracotta cap and flange allow moisture out. It works really well view it in finished ovens (about p.6 I think)
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I used a latex based furnace caulking and this stuff is super! It has not cracked or shrunk at all! I'm sure it's widely available at any plumbing supply or home improvement store. I used it to seal the cement board to the outer edge of the clay flue at the top of the chimney and it's as tight as the first day I applied it (about a year ago)!
          Rick
          View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Thanks mate will try to look it up here downunder.
            cheers Cooky

Comment

Working...
            X