fireplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fireplace

has anybody built a fireplace under their oven. I'm just in the planning stage and would love to incorporate this in my oven if no big problems

Re: fireplace

There are a number of posts on just this topic in the Outdoor Fireplace Design folder. There are benefits and drawbacks, but it certainly can be done.
    Nikki

Comment

has anybody built a fireplace under their oven. I'm just in the planning stage and would love to incorporate this in my oven if no big problems
      I built a fireplace under my oven, but the entry on the opposite side, and inside the adjoining building. There are two problems with the combination. Many people think that a fireplace would go well directly under the oven, where the wood storage normally is. Fireplaces work best if they are vented directly up from the firebox, and that is where the oven opening is. You certainly don't want to try to vent your fireplace into the oven enclosure, that wouldn't work at all. You may also find that having a fire at your feet while you are trying to cook would be extremely unpleasant.

There is also an inherent problem with outside fireplaces. Because you don't have the temperature difference between outside and inside that draws the smoke up the chimney. They are prone to smoking and have to be planned very carefully to take advantage of the prevailing winds.

There is some discussion of this problem on the Rumford site.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I completed my fireplace/oven combination around July of this year. It has been fantastic. No, the fireplace is not like an indoor fireplace and does get some smoke out the front until the flue heats up, but it works great. My flue is at the rear of the fireplace and behind the oven. The mass of the fireplace heats the area nicely, even on colder days. It's nice on cool nites after the pizza's are cooked to throw the burning embers right on the logs in the fireplace and watch them catch. Easiest fire I've ever built. It's all in what you want out of your unit. Here's a pic of mine.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
        X