• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nissanneill
    replied
    Re: Thinner dome

Hi Doug and welcome to the forum,
    I feel for you and your oven but it is not such a huge job to dis-assemble it provided the mortar is not bonded to the bricks like steel.
    A few members have actually made their Pompeii ovens with third bricks rather than 1/4 bricks but there is no reason why you can't.
    Do you have a rendered or an enclosure over your Scott oven?
    The reason I ask is because once you build it and find that maybe you have gone a bit too far, you could always remove your insulation and add a little extra refractory mortar to increase your thermal mass.
    I would think that your plan would be fine, it would heat up in around an hour, (mine is a 40" Pompeii with 4 1/2" thick dome and 3" thick hearth and heats up in around 1 1/2 to max 2 hours depending on how fierce I make the fire and I burn around a wheelbarrow of split red gum.
    I can cook as many pizzas as I like because you keep the fire going albeit around the edges, scrape out the coals, let the oven cool, do a batch of bread, rolls and spicy fruit buns and then the evening roast.
    Better to modify it and get the use fromit!

Neill

Leave a comment:

• dlgeis
    started a topic Thinner dome

Thinner dome

Hi

I built a Scott medium oven 3 years ago and it is a wonderful piece but I have only used it 6+- times because it takes so long to fire and I simply don't have a need to bake 30 loaves at a time. The walls are 4 1/2 thick firebrick with 4" of concrete cladding and it is just too much mass for a couple of pizzas, 4 loaves of bread and the occasional turkey.

I have decided to either add a Pompeii 30" or tear my Scott down to the support and rebuild (it hurts but what good is an oven I never use).

My thought is that cutting the bricks in half like the plans show and placing them sideways so that the dome is only 2 1/4" thick would still give me plenty of mass, fire quickly, and reach very high temps while using just a little more than 1/2 the wood of the standard Pompeii.

Am I going too far the other direction or would this be enough mass to cook a couple of pizzas and/or one load of bread.

Doug G
Working...
X