Woodheads WFO 42"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woodheads WFO 42"

Ok,,,Found the type S lime and started going UP!! Got first and second chain mortared. Not sure i could have been a mason, but pretty pleased so far.

Comment

Congratulations! You're right - it is totally addicting. I just put my flue liner in today and I can't wait for it to firm up a bit so I can actually build the chimney. I had a hard time with the lime, too, but the formula that FB has is great, and it totally works. Can't wait to see more!

Comment

Looking good bro! I expect to see the dome completed in two weeks.

Comment

...your project is coming along nicely... I can't wait to be invited over for some fine bread and pizza!! (I'll let you handle the pizza - the bread is mine!!)

Comment

Hey Wilson,

You look familiar!!! you are first on the list for pizza!!!

Amber--thanks for the compliments!!

Comment

Off to a great start! You'll be there in no time.
              Bill,

Check out my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/b...egin-5443.html

Comment

Looks pretty nice already, Woodhead!
                So it's a 42" oven and I see a quarter circle of plywood there. What is the height of that plywood and finished dome you're planning for? Also your oven opening size if you don't mind.
                I'm still halfway thru digging my footing/pad for my 42" and am curious.
                Thanks, Dino
                "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Dino,

I went 21" high with my plywood...crossing fingers it turns out that high!!! Also, 12 1/2 high opening and 20" wide. Have not been able to do any work this week, due to darkness. Hope to complete dome this weekend!! Good luck and post progress pics

Comment

Ever heard of outdoor lighting? Get on with it. I want a pizza by New Years!

Comment

What fantastic enthusiasm all round! I'm about halfway up my dome at the moment (it's a 42") and I'd agree with Woodhead, no way I'll ever get a job as a mason, but it's all nice and solid ... hoping to have pizza by Christmas. How anyone builds a dome in 2 days though, I aim to do 2 courses per day - by the time the rest of my life is fitted into the scheme of things - anyway yours looks good Woodhead. Hope it all works well.

Comment

Hi Crowtrapper,

How anyone builds a dome in 2 days though
                        Check out my build. The actual dome was done including the hearth in 2 days.
                        It can and was done with ease. We Aussies are enterprising people, and when you get involved and put your mind to it well _ _ _ !

Neill
                        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                        Neill’s kitchen underway
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I consider myself fairly enterprising as well and there is absolutly no way I ever could have gotten my dome done in 2 days. It took us about a month and I though we were doing pretty well! You Aussies take it to a whole new level!

Comment

OK Nissanneil - but as a fellow Aussie, I still find it incredible to get one done in 2 days. Perhaps - no I shouldn't say it - yes I'm going to - time moves so slowly there in SA your days are so much longer...

Just kidding Neil. But Amber - a month - that's taking it really gradually. Mine is stopped at the moment (bad weather) but by the time I finish it will have taken maybe 4 days from starting the soldiers to dropping in the keystone. I'm too old to mix mortar and cut bricks for hour after hour, so I guess I am not pushing myself too hard, but it's fun.

Comment

Ahh, but was it 4 consecutive days? For us it was a month of weekends and probably 6-10 days of actual work. It gets too dark too early to work during the week now. Granted it's still much slower than most of you, but I don't want to look like a total slacker

Comment

Not 4 consecutive days, no. About a week altogether (but that's only an estimate because it is not yet finished.) Hey, this is turning into a nit picking session! You are not a slacker! We all operate in different circumstances! And we all end up with different results, too. Which is part of the fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X