Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternating Partial-Taper brick construction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alternating Partial-Taper brick construction?

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
    But the fully tapered domes (like Les') look beautifully fit and trim!
    Dino, to set the record straight - I just tapered the sides with a compound angle to get rid of the annoying "V". I shimmed the back to get the correct angle. It is possible to do a complete dry stack, and that would be cool. If I had it to do over again - I think I would give it a shot.

Thanks!

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hi Dino,
      It is fun to hear about the different approaches and experiences and the great conversations here certainly will reduce the number of mistakes made by those who have yet to construct their oven (like myself). I think the approach (like Les, or an alternating approach) used to get rid of the void between adjacent rectangular bricks is more than sufficient given that ovens made from rectangular bricks work quite well. I would like to get rid of the triangular void between bricks but would shim the vertical angle and fill with refractory mortar.

My intention is to have a nice looking dome with minimal work. I am not an advocate of trying to build to nuclear reactor standards. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/imag...es/biggrin.gif
      Cheers
      Joe

Comment

When I built my dome I cut every alternative brick to give a nice tight fit. I wasn't scientific about it, I just eyed it up and cut them with my nine inch angle grinder and a diamond blade. It was surprising how neatly you can cut them.

I started doing it on about the fourth coarse. My only regret is that I did not start doing it sooner as I hated filling the gaps inside the oven once the dome was finished. It was dark, cramped and very hot.

Good luck. Like you sketchup work, very impressive.

Jase

Comment

Jase,

Thanks for the post and suggestion to start the tapering early. I think as you suggest when it comes time to cut bricks one does not need to be overly precise on the exact angles.
          Cheers
          Joe

Comment

Jase,
            It was dark, cramped and very hot.
            You don't (or shouldn't) get into your oven after you've just cooked your pizzas because it will be HOT. Believe me, it gets even hotter with a bright light inside with you.
            Dark, well if you have a stomach like mine, it fills the opening when you have your head and shoulders in them stopping all the exterior light from illuminating your task.
            They are all cramped once you try to crawl inside them, unless you built a huge one! Better off sending in the smaller (other half) to do the cleanup!
            My glasses were fogging up completely within a couple of minutes whilst inside my oven during the final cleaning process

Neill

PS. Just joking about the hot oven!
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Yep. The day I pointed the inside of my oven it was about 35 degrees C outside and in the direct sunlight. Dont think I have ever sweated so much in my life.

Insulation is on, and render is on. Lit a fire in it last night for the first time since the render went on and (fingers crossed) no cracks yet.

Cheers
              Jase

Comment

Working...
              X