concrete weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: concrete weight

Well, at the least I feel this conversation has steered me to thinking about a modular. Much as I really, really wanted to build, I recognize there are two separate concerns here: A business need with a plan vs. the love of the oven and the hands-on building experience. The former needs the modular but the latter can still be done. I have looked into FB's Ristorante 120. It weighs about 1,200 lbs. The hearth for that, assuming about a 70"x 70"x7" hearth, by my calculations is about 20 cu. ft. So a 7" slab of only Portland @94#/ Cu. ft. = 1,865lbs. That's about 3,000 lbs. Seems a bit much to me without actually having real numbers for the bus itself available yet.

I know I have some research to do re: the bus's capacity. I have decided to scrap the elephants.

Comment

Awww, I would have driven up there just to see the elephants...

You know, you still have that back yard... Wouldn't an oven look just perfect next to the deck/patio?

Um, rethink your calculations. I know it is counter intuitive but the cubic feet are actually 5 times that - 105.864 cf. I seriously doubt 7" is actually essential though.

Here's an online calculator for concrete: http://www.concrete.com/calculatorsmaterials.htm#volume
      Last edited by Archena; 01-20-2009, 05:31 PM.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by kimemerson View Post
        That's about 3,000 lbs. Seems a bit much to me without actually having real numbers for the bus itself available yet.

I know I have some research to do re: the bus's capacity. I have decided to scrap the elephants.
        I am sorry to see the elephants go...

Maybe the helium balloon variety of elephant ... two benefits: they hold up the oven, and with the helium, reduce the weight...

I went over to your blog, and if the picture of the bus is the one you are planning to use, my guess is you will need some weight reduction to this developing plan..

The bus is posted with a '9 passenger' limit. If the designers used an average of 200 pounds per passenger, and one 'pilot', that is 10 at 200 or a total of 2,000 pounds design capacity...

2,000# - 3,000# leaves and overweight condition of a noticeable amount...

Helium balloon elephants might help.....

JED

Comment

Hey Kim - don't get discouraged. If they can build these things on towing trailers - and they do - then there's a way to do it in a bus.

I suspect that with some careful design and a lot of insulation a metal stand can be made to work for you - then you can skip the concrete altogether.

It can be done - it just may take some creative designing. You're already creative so you're ahead of the game!
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Or you can just buy one of these...

Forno Bravo Cucina Pizza Oven Stand

-slaps forehead- I should have looked that up earlier...

[/CENTER]

Comment

Jed: I went to look at the placarding in the bus and learned about GVWR and GAWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating & Gross Axle Weight Rating). I still need to find the bus' Curb Weight in order to determine its Rated Cargo Load.
              GVWR is 10,980. Front GAWR is 4,000 and Rear GAWR is 7.900. This seems to me to mean I am actually well situated.
              I am sorry about the elephants. Ran into some mix up with PETA over that so the whole enchilada was scrapped. Ditto any suggestion of pack mules, gorillas (though no objection to guerillas) or any other large animal.

Archena: My friend the mechanic & I have actually sketched out an angle iron frame not unlike the FB one you posted. My apologies for the red splotch above your brow.

As for discouragement, I have learned that FB forum people and oven enthusiasts will have none of it. This is a good thing as I had not yet thrown in the trowel and had planned on bugging you all with questions, photos of progress and an invitation to pizza before summer's end. Stay tuned brick & mortar crowd. This sojourn is only beginning.

Many thanks all around.

Comment

Jed: I went to look at the placarding in the bus and learned about GVWR and GAWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating & Gross Axle Weight Rating). I still need to find the bus' Curb Weight in order to determine its Rated Cargo Load.
                GVWR is 10,980. Front GAWR is 4,000 and Rear GAWR is 7.900. This seems to me to mean I am actually well situated.
                I am sorry about the elephants. Ran into some mix up with PETA over that so the whole enchilada was scrapped. Ditto any suggestion of pack mules, gorillas (though no objection to guerillas) or any other large animal.

Archena: My friend the mechanic & I have actually sketched out an angle iron frame not unlike the FB one you posted. My apologies for the red splotch above your brow.

As for discouragement, I have learned that FB forum people and oven enthusiasts will have none of it. This is a good thing as I had not yet thrown in the trowel and had planned on bugging you all with questions, photos of progress and an invitation to pizza before summer's end. Stay tuned brick & mortar crowd. This sojourn is only beginning.

Many thanks all around.

Comment

Working...
                X