Thermocouples - How and Where

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermocouples - How and Where

OK so I'm off to build a new oven for a friend and...I wondered about using thermocouples and if anyone had any good tips.

I can pick up a cheap kit from ebay and just leave the wires trailing out of the side of the oven and plug the thermometer in when needed??

One in the dome and one in the floor?

How far into the brick etc etc etc?

Any comments greatly appreciated,

stan

Re: Thermocouples - How and Where

Hi Stan,
    why do you want thermocouples?
    Are you planning on cooking a lot of bread/multiple bakes?
    Unless you plan on needing to know the hearth and dome temps just below the surface AND on the underside/outside of the brick (soak temps) for repeat bread baking, you will not use them after the first say 6 firings!!!! You normally use 2 in sta same location, ie. just below the brick surface and behind it on the outside of the brick (but under or in front of your insulation).
    Get yourself a laser digital hand held themometer which is around or under US$100 will give you accurate temps +- 1˚C. If you fire your oven for 1 hour, then you won't have much soak (heat penetration and stored energy in the bricks) but if you fire for 2 hours and close the door to bake then you soak your bricks and yu are then ready for multiple bread bakes.
    I have them, 6 in all, 2 in the hearth and 4 in the dome, with a switcher and digital readout and don't use them- in my circumstances as a home use, a waste of time and money!!!
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Re: Thermocouples - How and Where

Ya Hi Stan,

Like Neill, I think you missed the 'why' part of the question.

I didn't install the thermocouples (but I do use a point and shoot thermometer), and we don't hear to many people talk about using the thermocouple.

If I had them, I don't think they would add much in the way of real information the way I use the oven. If the oven is too hot, I wait a bit. If it is to cool, the cooking takes a bit longer... or if we are on pizza, add some more wood to the fire...

The point and shoot thermometer tells me what the temperature is inside the oven, and experience tells me if the brick are 'heat soaked' and will maintain the heat for any period of time.

So, I would advise not to spend the money on the thermocouple...

JED

Comment

Working...
      X