X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dino_Pizza
    replied
    Re: Oven Floor Shape

Dave is right, that's just what I did. What appears to be a curve is just maybe 2-3 slight angle cuts on a straight brick and it appears round. You'll find when you put that pencil mark on the brick and take it to the wet-saw & make your first cut on the brick and you see some pencil mark continuing the curve, you just cut it off while the saw is running and you get what looks like a nice curve even though its a few little straight cuts.
    Good luck, I'm sure it will go well for you, you'll see.
    -Dino

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Just cut a couple angles on them.. Draw the curve on the brick with a pencil and then cut a straight line from both sides to the center of the arc that you drew.
    It will be close enough.
    Heck ... it's all going to get covered anyways.

You could even make several straight cuts to get close to the curve outline.

Leave a comment:

• Tony27587
    replied

Dino,

I am about to start cutting my bricks to build the oven floor, but I am a bit perplexed by something. I noticed you cut out a circular floor. How did you cut a curve with a straight cutting saw? I am going to rent a saw for the weekend for $116.00. It's a top of the line brick/block saw, but the rental center guy said it will not cut a curve. I intend on cutting a circle out of mdf to use a form.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

You could use cardboard too.

I placed my floor before I even considered your issue. Once my floor was in place, I marked the center of my oven based on the corners of the stand. Because it was a corner install, I moved the center away from the intended oven opening by a couple of inches towards the far corner. I circumscribed a circle on the brick floor with a string and Sharpie, and then drew the lines for the oven entrance. I never used a template.

Perhaps that's where I went wrong.... ( - just kidding )

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Tony, I just did this Friday and it might help you. After you read this look at my link below to the web album and read my entire oven build thread. You'll see that I "snapped" a line crossing the center of my 42" oven outline. Then, I re-snapped it over the same thing but with a junk piece of plywood. I placed bricks on the ends of this curved shaped plywood to hold it steady while I screwed a piece of 1" wide, 3' long card board "measuring stick" that I held my marking pen against at 21" (for my 42" diameter oven) and spun it around. I did this on my 2" forno bravao board (if your using similar stuff). I did this twice, once on my insulation base, and again on my herringbone patten floor. The wet saw tends to erase the pencil marks but not before I get it cut.
    Good luck, Dino
    Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 02-02-2009, 10:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wlively
    replied

I used the very high tech method of a nail, a straight 1x1 trim board 23" long, and a pencil.

Leave a comment:

• Tony27587
    started a topic Oven Floor Shape

Oven Floor Shape

I am having trouble understanding how to create the template to build the oven floor. I have built the stand and the hearth. I intend on using the FB Board under the cooking floor, but before I spend the dough and start cutting, I need help understanding how to create the template. Is there a tip or trick anyone can give me? Should I simply use styrofoam, cardboard, or plywood to create it?
Working...
X