Mini Portable Beginnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Portable Beginnings

I am trying a unique experiment with a portable oven. I want to build one that will fit on the back of my K3500.

Because I am limited to 48" wide this oven will be only 34" ID and the insulation will still be a bit thin on the sides. I have fabricated a steel box and have put 3.5" of concrete / rebar and 3.5" Vermiculite mix on top.

Now I will start laying out the base. Wish me luck!

Re: Mini Portable Beginnings

Good Luck on your build, It's a great idea! Sorry, But what's a K3500?
    View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Thanks, I hope it is a good idea. Time will tell! A K3500 is a pickup truck with a payload of close to 4,000 pounds. I want to keep this thing in my backyard most of the time but thought it would be fun to take to one of my relative's pizza stores as a promo from time to time.

I've been trying the recipes from this site and perfecting my dough techniques for about 6 months and am really ready to get off the "stone" and into something more authentic.

Comment

If you'll put up with an unsolicited suggestion, don't use the full height soldier course. That puts a lot of horizontal thrust on the side walls, that is directed downward on a more hemispherical dome. Cracking from vibration is one of the big problems with portable ovens, and you want your design to be as stable as possible.

Consider trimming the edges of the sidewalls an inch or so, for the first few courses, to get the full thickness insulation in.

Love the forklift, by the way. There are times when we all could have used one of those.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Sbinder

We just had one of our customers do the same thing. Although the reason they were building it on a movable slab is because of the weather. They built it inside and will move it outside when the weather is warmer. It will go to its final resting spot.

I will post some pics.

Comment

Here are some pics.

Comment

More Pics of the build

Comment

I'm always happy for any and all suggestions. That's one of the reasons I am posting in the Forum. By the way, I have enjoyed watching your posts for some time and am very impressed with your build.

I will shave the side bricks to get that extra inch of insulation as I'm sure the thermal mass is much less important than the insulation especially when I’m just working with pizza.

I have been struggling with the inner contour and appreciate your input on that too. I had always thought that a true parabola is stronger than the circular domes that you usually see. A parabola has less volume so I thought that moving it to the top of a full soldier would recover some of my lost volume. I hadn’t thought about the horizontal thrust so I’m glad you brought it to my attention. I will work on another design that will address both issues.

Comment

That's a nice looking oven! Thanks for the ideas as I'm also planning on going with the stucco style.

Comment

First Course

I have now dry fit the first course. I'll recheck all my measurements before I start with them mud but I think I'm getting closer.

I made pizza again this weekend on the stone and my 3 year old just loves it. We're going to ruin him for life!

Comment

You better steer clear of rough roads.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Right, so I have decided to build my dome based on a catenary arch for maximum strength. I have also decided to only have vertical mortar joints less than 3mm. I have already found that it will require more bricks but less heat stop II for the payoff. I'm using my own refractory mortar mix on the horizontal joints and surface to save more money. With both of these adjustments to my plan, I believe I will have a strong enough dome to handle small bumps in the road.
                        Last edited by sbinder; 02-21-2009, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sbinder View Post
                          I'm sure the thermal mass is much less important than the insulation especially when I?m just working with pizza.

Actually, the insulation isn't that important when you are cooking pizza since there is a fire burning. The insulation comes into play when you are baking.

Les...
                          Check out my pictures here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Actually, the insulation isn't that important when you are cooking pizza since there is a fire burning. The insulation comes into play when you are baking.
                            We've heard from many members who have found it difficult-to-impossible to bring an uninsulated oven up to temperatures for pizza. If your heat leaks to the base or to the air, you just won't get your thermal mass up to temperature.

Remember the FB motto: insulate! insulate! insulate!
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

David,

My first fire I went to white w/ zero insulation. It pegged my meter at over 950 deg. - I am sure I could have cooked in it. I do agree with you, insulation is important.

Les...
                              Check out my pictures here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X