New Pompeii oven in Bellevue, WA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Pompeii oven in Bellevue, WA

Looks great! Have you decided how you are going to finish it up. Enclose the dome or leave it round.

Mark

Comment

Thanks exceloven, I plan on enclosing the oven soon after I start to cure it. I have some steel studs in the waiting but have yet to decide on the finish.
      Cheers,

Comment

Fun Story...I left work at lunch time today to pick up a bag or refectory mortar to complete my oven. A local masonry supply shop has been great by selling brick and mortar at contractor pricing, but they also sell a line of modular WFO's. They had there show oven fired up and were making lunch pizza for customers. Free WFO pizza lunch! Though it was pre-made crust and only 500?, the gesture was great. I would recommend this supply to any WFO builder in the greater Seattle area.
        ?I hope to throw a match into my oven at the end of the weekend!
        Cheers,

Comment

John, I agree! Good people, though I must say the river rock exterior on the oven looks a little Fred Flinstone. I sent Jon, who rides the front desk, a cycling jersey once he admitted he was an avid Tour fan and rider.

I just need a break in the weather so I can put the damn roof on!
          Bill

Oven Build: https://goo.gl/photos/rN6FhFSS2jzwfQuB7

Oven cooking: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1vmPg7XXSbMwhdnD6

Comment

I had a good day of work, completing the archway and the foundation for my chimney. I should be able to complete the chimney base and anchor mount tomorrow. I am exhausted!

Comment

Damn John, that's some tidy work! ANy ideas on the exterior finish?
              Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill,
                I'm at a loss as to what the covering will be. I've collect 20 steel studs to frame a structure but have no idea what to cover it with. I'm hung up on the finishing details. Because it is a smaller structure then a home and people will be gathered close around it, I want to be sure of the details. I've spent 4+ months getting to this point and I don't want to rush it.
                I've started my curing fires and cracks are appearing. Haven't gotten over 300deg yet, but I'm thinking of ways to repair/seal before covering with a blanket. Any ideas?
                Cheers,

...there is also talk among my tribe about an ingloo finish

Comment

John, as to the finish, I've visited many of the rock yards looks for a rock veneer that seems to fit. Was at Marenakos in Preston and enjoyed the variety. I think I'll go with a stone veneer with "firerock".
                  Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get the roof on. One side of the roof is less than square and that doesn't work well with metal rof shets. Should have paid closer attention... May have to rebuild that side. Frustrated because I can't build fires till the canopy comes down but can't take the canopy down till the roof is done. Oh joy.

Cracks happen. From reading past posts it looks like others have had success mortaring over the cracks till cracks subside. Give it a shot.

Your build is right up there with the best!
                  Bill

Comment

Originally posted by jrparks View Post
                    ways to repair/seal before covering with a blanket. Any ideas?
                    Cheers,

...there is also talk among my tribe about an ingloo finish
                    John,

I don't think your cracks will be a problem - I've seen an oven with a 5/8 inch gap that was cooking food. The blanket will hide a multitude of sins. It's rated well over the temps you are going to get to. We have all been there...

In regard to the igloo finish - I went that route and it is tough. I see flaws but no one else does (or they are full of BS). If you need a small footprint (my reason) that is the way to go. On the other side - if you build an enclosure, you will be able to insulate the snot out of it. Either way, you are on the road to a butt load of fun

Les...
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

After a week of relaxation in sunny Kona, it back to the liquid sunshine in the northwest! I spent the weekend working with steel studs for the first time. I feel pretty good about the outcome.
                      After months of thinking about the roofing material and unsatisfied with what is available, I?m now 90% sure on plans to pour a concrete roof about 1-1/2? -2? thick. I will color dye the cement and use some molding to put a nice edge on it. If anyone thought or input it will be appreciated.
                      Cheers,

Comment

John, looks great and welcome back.

If I were to start over, the single slope roof would be the way I'd go. So much simpler and cleaner when it comes to flashing around the flue.

i can promise you you're going to miss the Kona weather....

Bill
                        Bill

Comment

Excellent.

Comment

It's been a while since I've posted on my thread. Been busy with life, cooking and finishing the oven. Here are a few pics of my oven with the insulated door I completed today!! I will continue with how I built it.

Comment

This Insulated Oven Door project has bits of many thing I?ve seen in the FB forum and is what I think will work for me. With my work, I?m am lucky enough to do regularly business with a metal fabrication shop which have 6 lasers for cutting metal. No charge on the cutting and material. With the plans from my oven opening I first made cardboard templates to be sure the steel would fit fine. I drew up plans on CADD and sent them to my metal fabricator to be cut out of 14 gauge T-304 stainless steel. There was a miss communication and the first run was out of 7 gauge (3/16?). I later got the material re-cut in 14 gauge and ended up using some of the 7 gauge in the final design.
                              I started with a piece of 7 gauge for the bottom of the door and screwed it to a couple of mounting bracket I fabricated.
                              I then lay out the front and back of the door to drill holes for the handle and thermometer. The door is 2? thick and the thermometer mounts to a ?? NPT coupling that is welded to the front panel.

Comment

The ?? coupling has a short piece of ?? pipe to extend it?s length to 2?. I then tack on the sides to the back panel of the oven. (all welding was TIG)
                                Once the sides are on, I then weld on the two brackets which will hold on the bottom plate.
                                I then align the back to the front and tack them together. Also weld on the other side of the bottom clip.

Comment

Working...
                                X