Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Pompeii oven in Bellevue, WA

John,
    the oven looks great. The door is way cool. Please tells use more about how you designed it. BUT..... 3 post earlier is a pic of our oven with a steel stud frame around it. Your finished oven shows it's gone. When did that all happen?
    I love your dome with the grey stone. When and why did you change to that style. Either way, the oven is great and you door is great. Nice to hear from you and see your oven, Cheers, Dino
    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Once the front and back are tacked together I weld the opposite end of thermometer mounting hole.
      I start tacking top radius of the oven. By tacking every ??-1/2? I?m able to bend the material easily without the use of a roller.
      This completes the light assembly and time to start welding?

Comment

Thanks Dino,
        I decided that dome would work better for me after a few bottles of wine with and old friend who's opinion I respect. I spent the better part of May looking at the steel studs and Hardi-backer, and did not like the direction the project was going. I'm very pleased with the dome and only a few item to finish it up now. The pizzas we've been cooking have been amazing and I look forward to retained heat cooking with the insulated door.
        Cheers,

Comment

After welding all the seams I clean up the welds and try to polish the door. Almost done now?

Comment

John, what a great job on the door. Congrats!

You are a artisan.

Bill

PS - Where did you find the thermometer?
            Bill

Oven Build: https://goo.gl/photos/rN6FhFSS2jzwfQuB7

Oven cooking: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1vmPg7XXSbMwhdnD6

Comment

I now two sheets of mineral wool insulation rated to 1200deg F. It is tricky to get it cut and installed around the thermometer mount but much easier then row 2-13 of the firebricks in the dome. I then screw the bottom back on.
              I also have got some ?? diameter fiberglass braided rope that is rated to 1400deg F. It intended use is for oven doors. Luckily that is what I am attempting to make. I glue the rope to the inside flange of the oven with hi-temp silicate adhesive. Done! I will test the oven door in the coming week. With only a 14 gauge door for fire cooking I?m able to have temps in the high 400deg range the morning after cooling pizzas. I hope to improve on that
              Cheers,

Comment

Thanks Bill,
                Thermometer is item number: 3946K181
                At McMaster Carr
                McMaster-Carr

Comment

I had a cord of seasoned madrona firewood delivered today. I paid $325 for it and it looks great. Tomorrow will be a day hauling and stacking wood. Should be enough to get me through August!!!!!

Comment

The oven was great but the door is even better! My neighbor is a master welder and has agreed to fabricate one for me when I finish the vent. Maybe I missed it but didn`t see one ending in 181 in your handy link--is it a six inch stem and five inch face? Thanks again for a great design and set of instructions> John

Comment

Bernerdog,
                      Mcmaster may have changed the part number. search the part number on there website and it will take you right there.
                      Cheers,

Comment

other item..

The door only weighs 16 lbs. If I had more ambition I might have put a window and light in it. Then I could see the bread cooking…I’ll leave that for a future builder.

The handle were purchased from here; Barbecue Pit Accessories, Free Shipping*, Stainless Steel Springs ,Pit Temperature Gauge, Stainless Steel Spring Handle

Insulation, rope and hi-temp adhesive, and thermometer were from Mcmaster.com

Insulation part number; 9328K41

Rope part number; 8850K123

Adhesive part number; 7573A29

Thermometer part number; 3946K181

Comment

John,

Your oven and door look great! I'm impressed.

-Vince

Comment

Working...
                          X