Can you do 2 or more chains a day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you do 2 or more chains a day?

Hi guys. Sorry I haven't checked in until now. I am building 42" Pompeii and have started the dome today doing first course. Am curious if I can do more than one chain per day. I have good help for about another week so would like to get this dome done with help ASAP without compromising the integrity of the build. I am using the mix on page 67 with cement, lime, fireclay, and sand.

Thank you ahead of time. You guys are great. I am copying like mad from all the great posts and pictures on this site.

Re: Can you do 2 or more chains a day?

The homebrew mortar will do fine for the lower courses, where the chains are self supporting. Once you get up above the 45 degree angle, you'll probably want to go slower and use support.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Re: Can you do 2 or more chains a day?

I managed to do two chains each day, but more would have really been pushing it. At my skill level, I needed the mortar to dry nicely enough so that the next course would have something solid to build on. I used sticks and such as support, pretty minimal but absolutely needed. Perhaps if you had a more rigorous support system you could do more courses in a day. Never tried it myself, but it seems logical.
      Nikki

Comment

Working...
      X