Insulated firebrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulated firebrick

Just wondering if anyone has used insulating firebricks as floor insulation. I can get enough 75mm (3inch) thick bricks to insulate the floor of the oven cheaper than i can get calsil board. Spoke to the supplier and he seemed to think that it would provide almost as much insulation per inch as the calsil board.

If i use these bricks would that be enough insulation or would i still need ot use some vemicrete?

Cheers
    James
    Real men cook with fire
    My Oven and Fireplace Build

Re: Insulated firebrick

You would have to look at the manufacturer's specs, but I seem to recall that insulating brick has about the same insulation value as vermiculite concrete, so you would need about 4" (102mm) under your brick floor. They are just high-alumina clay fired with sawdust to create air pockets. Maybe lay them on edge?

If it's only a little cheaper I'd go with the cal-sil.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

What do you want to use your oven for? PIzza (quick) or Bread (retained)

More insulation is always better than less so if you can swing it add some more. One brick on the side, or do one on the side and one flat maybe.

If you were going to have to add vermicrete, why not just go with that anyway? Isn't that cheaper?
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

the oven will be mainly for pizzas but the more i read the keener i am to do some sour dough and roasts/stews etc.
        I am waiting to hear bcak from the supplier RE: actual properties of the insulating brick but I think that i am just going to go for a 4inch bed of vermicrete cause it is cheaper by far.
        Real men cook with fire
        My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

Working...
        X