Brick counts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brick counts

hi all... 42 inch oven 198 bricks including the floor and 4-50 lb bags heat stop 50

Comment

200lbs of HeatStop. That's a little higher than typical (maybe) -- we are providing 165lbs with the Pompeii Oven Kit.

Any thoughts on that? Maybe 200 is closer to the average and we need to add one more 55lb bag to the 110cm/43" oven kit.

What does everyone think?

Congratulation on completing your oven. She looks great!
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

hi james and thanks..
        I attribute some loss to inexperience, spillage and mixing more than i could use at one time, but i think my joints were pretty evenly spaced. next time im sure i could do it with three bags,,, Experience makes a big difference and i had none in masonry, Maybe you should offer another bag as an option ?
        Mark

Comment

I used one 50 lb bag and part of one 10 lb bucket of heatstop to do an oven, a fireplace, and twenty feet of dual masonry flue liners, but of course, that involved crazy cutting.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

So James, what was the consensus on the number of bricks for a 42" oven? Is that the number that was decided on for the version 2.0 plans? I am about to buy some bricks and I don't want too many but I also don't want to make multiple trips to get more. Let me know.

Nate
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

Darn.. I dont find a table tool.. I'll include a quick excel spreadsheet, zipped.

Chris

PS I used 260 for my 43" oven.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SCChris; 03-09-2012, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Chris,

That was good information. I was wondering if somebody had done the calculations on that. Thanks!

Nate
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

I have some problems to find a relation between the number of bricks used and the number of bricks I get from the calculation, i.e. 260 bricks used for an oven of 43".
                  If you cut them in half, you would have 520 half bricks, that?s more than twice the number that you need to cover the area of the dome?

I understand that you have some losses and that you have to add the bricks for the floor and vent but still, this seem to be far too many bricks for me?

Am I wrong?
                  Gruß vom Niederrhein!

http://www.grillsportverein.de/forum...kt-163030.html

Comment

The bricks in the dome are cut from the full bricks and the dome calculation is based on the volume of US sized bricks, 2.25 by 4.5 by 9 inches. I never counted the brick pieces but, in the end, I bought and used 260. I have a few bits around, but not many. My dome bricks started with a soldier course followed by half bricks and then I cut various sizes but for simplicity sake three sizes for each ring. In every ring my rule was to avoid having vertical joints from one ring continue to the next so brick sizes were a function of this.

Chris

Comment

O.k.,

that?s a different size of bricks, ours are 250mm*124mm*64mm, which equals to 7936 mm^2 per brick, *2 when cut in half.
                      Your brick would make 6532mm^2, that would be 18% less.
                      This would explain it, my fault, I didn?t think of the different brick size.
                      Gruß vom Niederrhein!

http://www.grillsportverein.de/forum...kt-163030.html

Comment

No worries!
                        Change the numbers in the sheet and you'll have it..
                        124 mm = 4.88188 inches so you'll have a bit more thermal mass than our US ovens, if you go this route..

Chris

Comment

James
                          Here is an approximation of the materials I used - note the bricks are 1/2" thicker than those used by most here.
                          - 39" oven dome 19.5" diameter and 20.5" internal height
                          - Brick dimensions are 230mmX114mmX75mm ( 9"X4.5"X3").
                          - I ordered 180 and used 174 (wasted 2 or 3) and 6 left over.

Used homebrew mortar - 25kg of cement and 25kg fireclay. Equivalent volume of hydrated lime and 3 parts volume of sand.
                          Aidan
                          Last edited by Amac; 05-02-2012, 02:56 AM.
                          Amac
                          Link to my WFO build

Comment

Working...
                          X